WEST VALLEY CITY — Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, is expected to announce formally on Wednesday that he will seek a second term to the House, but the wording of invitations that he sent raised questions about whether he may seek some other office instead.
One e-mail his campaign sent invited supporters to come hear Chaffetz "make an announcement about his future political plans." Another invited the press to hear Chaffetz "for an important announcement."
Chaffetz told the Deseret News he will wait until the 1 p.m. news conference at the West Valley City Hall to make his precise announcement, "but I suspect that you won't find it to be too surprising."
Party officials said they expect him to announce he will seek re-election to the House. Some conservatives, however, had urged him to run against Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, a race that is crowded with many candidates.
While Chaffetz earlier said he has toyed with the idea of entering that race, he has said more recently he would likely seek re-election and that he is enjoying his service in the House.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16