WEST VALLEY CITY — Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, is expected to announce formally on Wednesday that he will seek a second term to the House, but the wording of invitations that he sent raised questions about whether he may seek some other office instead.
One e-mail his campaign sent invited supporters to come hear Chaffetz "make an announcement about his future political plans." Another invited the press to hear Chaffetz "for an important announcement."
Chaffetz told the Deseret News he will wait until the 1 p.m. news conference at the West Valley City Hall to make his precise announcement, "but I suspect that you won't find it to be too surprising."
Party officials said they expect him to announce he will seek re-election to the House. Some conservatives, however, had urged him to run against Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, a race that is crowded with many candidates.
While Chaffetz earlier said he has toyed with the idea of entering that race, he has said more recently he would likely seek re-election and that he is enjoying his service in the House.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Are 'calm' South Jordan burglars tied to...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 68
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 45
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 35
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13