WEST VALLEY CITY — Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, is expected to announce formally on Wednesday that he will seek a second term to the House, but the wording of invitations that he sent raised questions about whether he may seek some other office instead.
One e-mail his campaign sent invited supporters to come hear Chaffetz "make an announcement about his future political plans." Another invited the press to hear Chaffetz "for an important announcement."
Chaffetz told the Deseret News he will wait until the 1 p.m. news conference at the West Valley City Hall to make his precise announcement, "but I suspect that you won't find it to be too surprising."
Party officials said they expect him to announce he will seek re-election to the House. Some conservatives, however, had urged him to run against Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, a race that is crowded with many candidates.
While Chaffetz earlier said he has toyed with the idea of entering that race, he has said more recently he would likely seek re-election and that he is enjoying his service in the House.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12