LAYTON — In March, the last of the businesses required to move out of a new interchange's path will be gone.
Kim Covieo, who has owned Allco Discount Auto Parts at 199 S. Main for the past 38 years, has purchased space for a new building four blocks to the north.
Covieo began scouting locations last year and settled on his new spot at 175 N. Main. Covieo had been concerned he would lose his customers if he had to move too far away.
"It will be nice to get out of this mess," Covieo said Tuesday, referring to the construction site that has become the southern part of Main Street.
A handful of other businesses have been affected by the $97 million project that will create a full freeway interchange at Fort Lane and I-15, widen Main Street and provide a connection along 750 South to the new interchange.
Sill's Cafe began operations at its new site on Gentile Street late last year. North Davis Gymnastics moved to Hill Field Road, and Doug and Emmy's is relocating to Mayfield in Sanpete County. Two Men and a Truck also has relocated.
Covieo said he never imagined he would have to pick up and move from his longtime location.
"We would have been here for the duration," he said.
The Utah Department of Transportation's construction manager said Covieo could have enough time to build his new building, which will be about 1,500 square feet larger than his current building and will have access from Cross and Main streets.
"I'm the last one to go," Covieo said.
He expects to open his new store by the end of March.
e-mail: email@example.com twitter: desnewsdavis
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- Jordan School District opens doors on its...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 20
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family... 11