LAYTON — In March, the last of the businesses required to move out of a new interchange's path will be gone.
Kim Covieo, who has owned Allco Discount Auto Parts at 199 S. Main for the past 38 years, has purchased space for a new building four blocks to the north.
Covieo began scouting locations last year and settled on his new spot at 175 N. Main. Covieo had been concerned he would lose his customers if he had to move too far away.
"It will be nice to get out of this mess," Covieo said Tuesday, referring to the construction site that has become the southern part of Main Street.
A handful of other businesses have been affected by the $97 million project that will create a full freeway interchange at Fort Lane and I-15, widen Main Street and provide a connection along 750 South to the new interchange.
Sill's Cafe began operations at its new site on Gentile Street late last year. North Davis Gymnastics moved to Hill Field Road, and Doug and Emmy's is relocating to Mayfield in Sanpete County. Two Men and a Truck also has relocated.
Covieo said he never imagined he would have to pick up and move from his longtime location.
"We would have been here for the duration," he said.
The Utah Department of Transportation's construction manager said Covieo could have enough time to build his new building, which will be about 1,500 square feet larger than his current building and will have access from Cross and Main streets.
"I'm the last one to go," Covieo said.
He expects to open his new store by the end of March.
e-mail: email@example.com twitter: desnewsdavis
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 121
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 26
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 17
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12