EAGLE MOUNTAIN — A rural home in northern Utah County sustained about $100,000 in damage after a fire that started in a Crock-Pot.
The residents had started to cook a turkey around 3 p.m. Sunday and then left the home, returning about four hours later.
"They were greeted at the door with smoke and heat and called us," said Eagle Mountain Fire Chief Rand Andrus.
The grease fire spread to floor joists and an upstairs bathroom. The damage will require some reconstruction before the family can return.
"Without the joists there, they could fall right through the floor (upstairs) and into the kitchen," Andrus said.
— Paul Koepp
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21