Sour hour for Jazz against shorthanded Nuggets
But team not ready to stop playing yet despite lousy loss
"It's not doomsday. I mean, if we come and play we'll be fine," he said. "But you can't expect teams to give you games. You've got to earn them, and work for them.
"I'm not gonna panic. ... The season's not over. We'll keep playing. We just got through playing three games in four days in three different cities, when you look at it. So, that's part of basketball you can't panic about.
"You'll have nights that things don't go right for you, the whole world hates you," added Sloan, who was last seen creasing a scoresheet following an especially tough loss Thursday night at Oklahoma City. "Everybody hates you, and people boo you. But it's your job to pick yourself up, and try to do it again. You can't bail out."
Sloan, like Miller, seems inclined to keep the Jazz together even through next month's NBA trade deadline.
"We can't afford to panic," he said. "I'm sure a lot of people will. But hopefully our players won't. They'll stay together, and go from there."
Williams expressed similar sentiments.
"I'm all for anything improving the team. But we have a great group of guys here, you know?" he said. "You know, you can always say there's something else that can help improve this team — but I think right now this is the team we have, so you can't think elsewise until something happens.
"And with this group we have, we just have to put a run together. You know, we know we can win some ballgames in a row. It's got to happen sometime."
With that, Williams scratched at his face.
"That," he said, "is why I'm growing my beard. Because I said we can win five in a row."
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36