TYRELL CORBIN, West, boys basketball
As impressive as he was in leading West to the 4A state championship as a sophomore last year, Corbin has been even more impressive this season.
Eight games into the season he leads Class 5A in scoring at 21.5 ppg, and he's fifth overall. The point guard is coming off an impressive 29-point outing in a 67-48 win over East last Tuesday.
Earlier this month, the son of Utah Jazz assistant coach Ty Corbin scored 32 points in a 63-57 win over Clearfield.
With most of West's contributors from last year's state championship team graduating, Corbin is picking up the scoring slack for the Panthers who are now 6-2.
KIANA FONUA, Syracuse, girls basketball
This junior has matured both on and off the court enough to emerge as the top-ranked Titans' team leader.
"She leads our team on the floor by getting us into what we want to do offensively," said head coach Rob Reisbeck.
Fonua is at her best when her teammates need her most. She scored 20 points against Northridge and 16 points in the win over Fremont.
"She's always upbeat, always positive," said Reisbeck. "This year she's been nothing but positive. What's nice is that she's started since she was a freshman. ... She's a lot more confident in herself and in what we're trying to do."
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Brad Rock: Jazz's biggest star still waiting...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 59
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 51
- High school football: State tournament... 49
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42