TYRELL CORBIN, West, boys basketball
As impressive as he was in leading West to the 4A state championship as a sophomore last year, Corbin has been even more impressive this season.
Eight games into the season he leads Class 5A in scoring at 21.5 ppg, and he's fifth overall. The point guard is coming off an impressive 29-point outing in a 67-48 win over East last Tuesday.
Earlier this month, the son of Utah Jazz assistant coach Ty Corbin scored 32 points in a 63-57 win over Clearfield.
With most of West's contributors from last year's state championship team graduating, Corbin is picking up the scoring slack for the Panthers who are now 6-2.
KIANA FONUA, Syracuse, girls basketball
This junior has matured both on and off the court enough to emerge as the top-ranked Titans' team leader.
"She leads our team on the floor by getting us into what we want to do offensively," said head coach Rob Reisbeck.
Fonua is at her best when her teammates need her most. She scored 20 points against Northridge and 16 points in the win over Fremont.
"She's always upbeat, always positive," said Reisbeck. "This year she's been nothing but positive. What's nice is that she's started since she was a freshman. ... She's a lot more confident in herself and in what we're trying to do."
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33