LOGAN — Utah State junior Nate Bendall will have a minor surgical procedure to prevent the recurrence of the heart arrhythmia he experienced last month following the game Northeastern in Boston.
A source close to the USU basketball team told the Deseret News Monday afternoon that Bendall will likely undergo the arthroscopic surgery on Christmas Eve and miss only one game — the Dec. 29 contest against Western Oregon.
At Northeastern on Nov. 21, Bendall's heart rate skyrocketed and didn't settle down until after a visit to a Boston-area hospital.
Though Bendall has not had a recurrence of the problem and had a series of tests that have indicated he is healthy, he'll nevertheless have the surgery to make sure it is not a problem in the future.
The procedure, the source said, will involve a laser catheter inserted into a major blood vessel and a fairly non-invasive internal surgery.
Utah State opens WAC play just nine days after Bendall's surgery has been scheduled at New Mexico State on January 2. Bendall is expected to be back ready to play.
Against Morehead State Monday night, Bendall started and played 34 minutes, scoring a career high 18 points and blocking 5 shots.
After the game Monday, Bendall acknowledged he's a little nervous and when asked if he's ready for his next visit to the hospital.
"Oh yeah," he said sarcastically while pointing to his chest. "Real excited."
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 51
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 50
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37