LOGAN — Utah State junior Nate Bendall will have a minor surgical procedure to prevent the recurrence of the heart arrhythmia he experienced last month following the game Northeastern in Boston.
A source close to the USU basketball team told the Deseret News Monday afternoon that Bendall will likely undergo the arthroscopic surgery on Christmas Eve and miss only one game — the Dec. 29 contest against Western Oregon.
At Northeastern on Nov. 21, Bendall's heart rate skyrocketed and didn't settle down until after a visit to a Boston-area hospital.
Though Bendall has not had a recurrence of the problem and had a series of tests that have indicated he is healthy, he'll nevertheless have the surgery to make sure it is not a problem in the future.
The procedure, the source said, will involve a laser catheter inserted into a major blood vessel and a fairly non-invasive internal surgery.
Utah State opens WAC play just nine days after Bendall's surgery has been scheduled at New Mexico State on January 2. Bendall is expected to be back ready to play.
Against Morehead State Monday night, Bendall started and played 34 minutes, scoring a career high 18 points and blocking 5 shots.
After the game Monday, Bendall acknowledged he's a little nervous and when asked if he's ready for his next visit to the hospital.
"Oh yeah," he said sarcastically while pointing to his chest. "Real excited."
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 54
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 44
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8