SALT LAKE CITY — Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy, speaking to orlandomagic.com, had high praise for Jazz coach Jerry Sloan during his recent visit to Utah.
"To me, this is a mentally taxing job, the losses bother me, the season is long and the travel is tough," said Van Gundy, whose Magic lost to the Jazz on Thursday. "To me, maybe other than Phil Jackson (whose Lakers visit Utah Saturday) winning 10 championships, the most remarkable coaching achievement is what Jerry has done. I can't fathom 21 years of doing this and doing it well. It seems otherworldly to me.
"He is a very intense guy and for him to go out year after year and do it, I marvel at it," Van Gundy added with reference to Sloan, who is in his 22nd as the Jazz's head coach. "I talk about it all the time with other coaches. To me, it's as big an accomplishment as anybody has ever reached in this league, being in one place 21 years and counting. It's phenomenal."
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20