PROVO — The former chief executive of Omniture, a Provo-based company which tracks and analyzes how consumers use the Internet, was recognized Thursday as Utah Valley's Entrepreneur of the Year.
Josh James was one of five individuals or companies recognized for outstanding achievement at the annual awards ceremony.
James, who started Omniture in 1997 with a fellow BYU student, has seen the company grow into one of the largest online market analysis businesses in the world. The company was acquired by Adobe for $1.8 billion in October. James became a senior vice president of the Adobe division and reports to the Adobe CEO.
In accepting the award, James said risk was part of success.
"As an entrepreneur, if you don't step to the plate and swing, you're not doing your work," he said. "You have to be confident in yourself. When people ask me, 'Did you ever imagine you would be this successful?' My answer is always unequivocally, 'Yes. I never doubted we would get here.' "
High-tech companies dominated this year's awards.
Millenniata received an award for the Most Innovating Product for its M-ARC disc, which offers long-term, archival data storage on a computer disc. Henry O'Connell, president and chief executive, accepted the award.
Louis Pope, chief executive of US Synthetic and founder of Yehu Microfinance, which offers loans to people in extreme poverty in Kenya to help them start small businesses, was named the Ron King Social Entrepreneur of the Year.
Scott Frazier, co-founder of the Utah Angels, which identifies new businesses with potential and invests in them, was honored for Greatest Contribution to Entrepreneurs.
Access Technology, which offers Internet sales services for retail businesses, received an award for Utah Valley's Best Kept Entrepreneurial Secret. CEO Chris Boyle accepted the award.
The Utah Valley Entrepreneurial Forum is a volunteer support group that links entrepreneurs to potential investors and mentors. At a ceremony last month, the group inducted Stephen R. Covey to its 2009 Hall of Fame.
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- 3 tips for traveling cheaply
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Fox News blocked from Dish Network
- Survey finds fewer women working now than in...
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- Amazon offers one-hour delivery in Manhattan...
- California puzzles over safety of driverless...
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on... 3
- What people never mention when they... 3
- About Utah: They're best in the world 3
- US current account deficit rises to... 1
- Incoming Senate Majority Leader Mitch... 1
- A look at North Korea's cyberwar... 1