PROVO — The former chief executive of Omniture, a Provo-based company which tracks and analyzes how consumers use the Internet, was recognized Thursday as Utah Valley's Entrepreneur of the Year.
Josh James was one of five individuals or companies recognized for outstanding achievement at the annual awards ceremony.
James, who started Omniture in 1997 with a fellow BYU student, has seen the company grow into one of the largest online market analysis businesses in the world. The company was acquired by Adobe for $1.8 billion in October. James became a senior vice president of the Adobe division and reports to the Adobe CEO.
In accepting the award, James said risk was part of success.
"As an entrepreneur, if you don't step to the plate and swing, you're not doing your work," he said. "You have to be confident in yourself. When people ask me, 'Did you ever imagine you would be this successful?' My answer is always unequivocally, 'Yes. I never doubted we would get here.' "
High-tech companies dominated this year's awards.
Millenniata received an award for the Most Innovating Product for its M-ARC disc, which offers long-term, archival data storage on a computer disc. Henry O'Connell, president and chief executive, accepted the award.
Louis Pope, chief executive of US Synthetic and founder of Yehu Microfinance, which offers loans to people in extreme poverty in Kenya to help them start small businesses, was named the Ron King Social Entrepreneur of the Year.
Scott Frazier, co-founder of the Utah Angels, which identifies new businesses with potential and invests in them, was honored for Greatest Contribution to Entrepreneurs.
Access Technology, which offers Internet sales services for retail businesses, received an award for Utah Valley's Best Kept Entrepreneurial Secret. CEO Chris Boyle accepted the award.
The Utah Valley Entrepreneurial Forum is a volunteer support group that links entrepreneurs to potential investors and mentors. At a ceremony last month, the group inducted Stephen R. Covey to its 2009 Hall of Fame.
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals may...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 9
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 6
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- 3 ways you can save money on movie... 3