Bronco Mendenhall and his senior defensive captain, all-MWC defensive end Jan Jorgensen, both criticized the BCS pitting non-automatic qualifiers TCU (12-0) and Boise State (12-0) against each other in the Fiesta Bowl.
During Monday's press conference on BYU's campus, Jorgensen called the arrangement "crap," and Mendenhall told reporters, although it made history to have two non-BCS teams invited to the big money bowl, that matchup keeps both programs from proving themselves.
"I think any of us in the MWC or the WAC, and I can't speak for everyone, but I'd like both to play an automatic qualifier and I think it's the safest thing in terms for those of the proponents of the current system. You run a lot more risk if TCU were to play an automatic qualifier and win and Boise State were to play an automatic qualifier and win."
Mendenhall said the TCU-BSU is an "exceptional game" and both teams "have earned the right" to be there, but he would have preferred to see the the WAC and MWC champions matched up with Florida, Cinncinati, Georgia Tech or Iowa. "I think the nation at large would also have preferred that."
TCU is currently ranked No. 4 in the BCS standings while Boise State is No. 6.
"I think it's crap to be honest with you," said Jorgensen. "I think TCU should be given a shot at Florida or another team that is there. In my personal opinion, TCU is one of the best teams in college football. TCU and Alabama are close. I think they are better than Texas.
"For the BCS to throw TCU and Boise in to play each other, I think they did that to keep them from beating their big boys like we have in the past. I think it's crap but what can you do?
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48