BYU football: School says Hall incident has been resolved
PROVO — As far as BYU and its athletic department are concerned, the incident surrounding quarterback Max Hall's inflammatory comments directed at the University of Utah has been resolved.
Apparently satisfied with Hall's public apology, the university "plans no additional action and will have no further comment."
In response to inquiries regarding the fallout of Hall's disparaging comments about Utah last Saturday — including a public reprimand of Hall earlier Monday by the Mountain West Conference for violating the league's sportsmanship policies — BYU associate athletic director Duff Tittle issued the following statement Monday afternoon:
"BYU Athletics fully supports the Mountain West Conference sportsmanship initiatives. Senior quarterback Max Hall has issued a public apology. The university plans no additional action and will have no further comment."
Hall threw the game-winning touchdown pass to Andrew George in the 26-23 overtime victory over the Utes before unleashing a tirade during a post-game interview, calling the University of Utah and its fans "classless."
On Sunday, Hall issued a statement, clarifying his statements and apologizing to the Utah football program and other members of the university. Hall explained his comments were not "intended to be directed at the entire organization and all of the their fans and I apologize that it came out that way ..."
Hall said he was upset about the abusive treatment his family received from Ute fans last year at Rice-Eccles Stadium, explaining that family members had to be escorted to their car by local police after the game.
Because the regular season concluded last Saturday, BYU players and coaches are not being made available to the media this week.
The Cougars are expected to receive an invitation Sunday to either the Las Vegas Bowl or the Poinsettia Bowl.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 66
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33