Adrian Wyld, Associated Press
CALGARY, Alberta — Damon Duval kicked a 33-yard field goal with no time left — after getting a second chance because of a Saskatchewan penalty — in the Grey Cup to give the Montreal Alouettes a 28-27 victory over the Roughriders on Sunday night.
Duval missed moments earlier from 43 yards, but the Roughriders were penalized for having 13 men on the field.
"Thank the man upstairs that we got second chance and allowed me to go out and do my job," Duval said. "We started off a little rough and we're sitting here with green all around, but we stuck together.
"At halftime, 'We said we're still in it. Let's keep going. We have a chance.' And luckily, I got an opportunity a second time and put it through."
The Roughriders failed in a bid for a second title in three years.
"It was a lack of communication ... but it should have been recognized," coach Ken Miller said about the critical penalty. "The disappoinment of this loss is going to affect us as long as we're on this planet. Total 100 percent disappointment."
Montreal, a team-record 15-3 in the regular season, erased a late 16-point deficit.
Avon Cobourne, selected the game MVP, scored on a 3-yard run with 7:05 left, and Anthony Calvillo completed a 2-point conversion pass to Kerry Carter to make it 27-19. Former Utah State quarterback Calvillo then threw an 11-yard scoring pass to former BYU receiver Ben Cahoon. The 2-point try failed, but the Alouettes got the ball back and Calvillo set up the winning field goal.
The victory ended a run of Grey Cup woes for the Alouettes and Calvillo, who won only their second title in seven championship game appearances since 2000. They also ended a four-game losing streak in the Grey Cup with their sixth overall title.
"We came back and the guys fought and what a joyful event," Calvillo said. "It's a huge relief for me. We always wanted another chance to come back and compete for a championship and win, and we finally pulled it off. So amazing."
Roughriders quarterback Darian Durant scored on a 16-yard run to give Saskatchewan a 27-11 lead with 10 minutes left, and also threw a touchdown pass to Andy Fantuz in the first quarter. Luca Congi made four field goals for the Roughriders.
Calvillo also threw a touchdown pass to Jamel Richardson in the third quarter, and Duval connected earlier from 28 yards and had a single.
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 114
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 37
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 14