"There's really no story," he says. "It wasn't that I was really unhappy or they were unhappy with me."
He adds "(I) wanted to get back into California and I wanted to try some new things, and no, I can't think of any particular thing that made me leave."
Other than maybe all that blue in the stands.
"I looked up in the stands and BYU scored the first touchdown, and I swear there was more blue in the stands than red," he says.
He coached at Long Beach City College for two years after leaving Utah, then invested in building apartments and high-end housing before retiring at 61.
Howard says he still follows the Utes. When he can't see them at home, he finds a sports grill with the right channels.
"I root very strongly for Utah," he says. "I'm a super Ute fan. When the BYU game comes, I know they're playing and we watch the game."
He says he loved it when Utah drubbed Alabama in last year's Sugar Bowl.
As for his famous "hatred" quote, Howard says it was misinterpreted.
"I had used that word before, and had other coaches use it on us," says Howard. "It doesn't mean I really want to shoot you, I just want to beat you. That word, to me, is used when you really want to beat somebody badly."
In that case, he'll be glad to know his legacy lives on.
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi beats Bingham,...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 37
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 29
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 12
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8