Downtown Salt Lake City's holiday lights, more than 1 million strong, will come ablaze Friday, Nov. 27, at 5:25 p.m. when they are switched on for the festive season.
Besides the formal "Lights On" program at the Gallivan Center, 239 S. Main, there are some new features this year, despite all the construction downtown.
The Grand America Hotel, 555 S. Main, will stage its first annual "A Grand Holiday Festival," 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Friday night. This will feature a free evening of holiday magic that's open to the public and includes a Grand Gingerbread Village, a Teddy Bear Town and a light the angel tree event.
There will also be music and free refreshments.
In addition, the new 222 Main high-rise building will be unveiled and illuminated with three new holiday windows. "Crystal Ice," "Candy Cane Lane" and "Home for the Holidays" are the themes of the three large windows. Those passing by on the west side of Main Street will be able to view these windows from street level.
Temple Square will also turn on its million holiday lights at dusk on Friday. They will then be on every night through Dec. 31.
The "Lights On" event at the Gallivan Center will boast the One Voice Children's Choir, as well as an Elvis performer.
Santa, the Utah Jazz Bear and Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker will turn on the downtown lighting display at 5:25 p.m.
This event will also include an Elvis look-alike contest and free skating and rental for anyone dressed as Elvis.
More details are available at downtownslc.org.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24