Downtown Salt Lake City's holiday lights, more than 1 million strong, will come ablaze Friday, Nov. 27, at 5:25 p.m. when they are switched on for the festive season.
Besides the formal "Lights On" program at the Gallivan Center, 239 S. Main, there are some new features this year, despite all the construction downtown.
The Grand America Hotel, 555 S. Main, will stage its first annual "A Grand Holiday Festival," 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Friday night. This will feature a free evening of holiday magic that's open to the public and includes a Grand Gingerbread Village, a Teddy Bear Town and a light the angel tree event.
There will also be music and free refreshments.
In addition, the new 222 Main high-rise building will be unveiled and illuminated with three new holiday windows. "Crystal Ice," "Candy Cane Lane" and "Home for the Holidays" are the themes of the three large windows. Those passing by on the west side of Main Street will be able to view these windows from street level.
Temple Square will also turn on its million holiday lights at dusk on Friday. They will then be on every night through Dec. 31.
The "Lights On" event at the Gallivan Center will boast the One Voice Children's Choir, as well as an Elvis performer.
Santa, the Utah Jazz Bear and Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker will turn on the downtown lighting display at 5:25 p.m.
This event will also include an Elvis look-alike contest and free skating and rental for anyone dressed as Elvis.
More details are available at downtownslc.org.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 120
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 23
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17