Downtown Salt Lake City's holiday lights, more than 1 million strong, will come ablaze Friday, Nov. 27, at 5:25 p.m. when they are switched on for the festive season.
Besides the formal "Lights On" program at the Gallivan Center, 239 S. Main, there are some new features this year, despite all the construction downtown.
The Grand America Hotel, 555 S. Main, will stage its first annual "A Grand Holiday Festival," 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Friday night. This will feature a free evening of holiday magic that's open to the public and includes a Grand Gingerbread Village, a Teddy Bear Town and a light the angel tree event.
There will also be music and free refreshments.
In addition, the new 222 Main high-rise building will be unveiled and illuminated with three new holiday windows. "Crystal Ice," "Candy Cane Lane" and "Home for the Holidays" are the themes of the three large windows. Those passing by on the west side of Main Street will be able to view these windows from street level.
Temple Square will also turn on its million holiday lights at dusk on Friday. They will then be on every night through Dec. 31.
The "Lights On" event at the Gallivan Center will boast the One Voice Children's Choir, as well as an Elvis performer.
Santa, the Utah Jazz Bear and Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker will turn on the downtown lighting display at 5:25 p.m.
This event will also include an Elvis look-alike contest and free skating and rental for anyone dressed as Elvis.
More details are available at downtownslc.org.
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14