Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn isn't quite sure what he's getting into Saturday at BYU.
"I kind of don't, honestly," he said. "I'm definitely going to find out about this week, though — definitely this weekend."
Despite making his official recruiting visit to last year's rivalry game, the true freshman noted that a couple of teammates recently told him he had no idea of what it'll be like to face the Cougars.
"I'm excited," said Wynn, who has indoctrinated himself by watching past BYU-Utah games on television in his dorm. "It's definitely one of the biggest rivalries in the country and I'm excited to be a part of it."
Wynn is hopeful the experience of playing in front of a packed house at TCU earlier this month will be beneficial. He's only made three collegiate starts.
"Going against a good defense like that will always help," Wynn said. "I think the environment this weekend, though, will be a lot more hostile than it was that weekend."
Wynn completed 16-of-32 passes for 219 yards and a touchdown in the 55-28 loss to the fourth-ranked Horned Frogs.
"I think Jordan's going to handle himself very well. I'm very pleased with how he handled himself at TCU, even though the numbers weren't real prolific," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who added that Wynn was poised, calm and never panicked. "He never tried to force things, and we expect the same this week.
"That was a great learning experience for him at TCU," he continued. "That, hopefully, will help him in the situation this week."
NO BLUE FOR BEADLES: When asked if he likes the color blue, Utah senior Zane Beadles — all 6-foot-4 and 305-pounds of him — made it clear where he stands on the subject.
"Absolutely no," he said. "I don't think I even have any blue in my wardrobe."
HOWEVER … : Utah's scout team is sporting blue practice jerseys this week. The Utes have a complete set of all their opponent's colors. Whittingham said it's been very beneficial.
"The more you can duplicate the game situation; the feel of what's coming at you; who's going to be lining up where; and being able to visualize it, I think that's a positive."
NATIONAL AUDIENCE: Whittingham was on the Jim Rome radio show Monday morning. The program was guest hosted by Utah-based broadcasters David James and Patrick Kinahan, who asked the coach to describe the Utah-BYU rivalry to the nation.
"It's intense. The entire state of Utah is involved," Whittingham said. "You're either red or blue in this state. There's no middle ground."
EXTRA POINTS: Running back Shaky Smithson will play Saturday. He missed most of the second half against SDSU because of a thigh contusion … Wide receiver John Peel (foot) is questionable.
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss (win?) in...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment from...
- Damian Lillard stars in hilarious Adidas ad...
- Dick Harmon: QB Ammon Olsen's move from BYU...
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker reportedly...
- High school softball: Olympus player battles...
- Utah's Michelle Plouffe, BYU's Jennifer...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 47
- ESPN report: Jabari Parker rules out... 41
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 35
- Are Thursday and Friday games really... 34
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Should the Jazz intentionally lose to... 23
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 23
- Utah Jazz: Jazz, Lakers battle for... 20