ELDORADO, Texas — Convicted sex offender Raymond Merril Jessop smiled Tuesday on the way to the Schleicher County Jail from a makeshift courtroom where he'd just been sentenced to 10 years in prison.
"I am at peace. I'll say that," the 38-year-old polygamist sect member said in the early evening darkness.
Jurors took about six hours before handing down the sentence of 10 years in prison and an $8,000 fine. The second-degree felony of child sexual assault is punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine of as much as $10,000.
Jessop's conviction of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in November 2004 at the Yearning for Zion Ranch and the punishment determined by a seven-man, five-woman jury mark a victory for prosecutors in the first of what may be many trials springing from the April 2008 raid on the ranch.
To read the full report, please visit www.gosanangelo.com/news/2009/nov/10/jessop-sentenced-to-10-years.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 39
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 24
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11