ELDORADO, Texas — Convicted sex offender Raymond Merril Jessop smiled Tuesday on the way to the Schleicher County Jail from a makeshift courtroom where he'd just been sentenced to 10 years in prison.
"I am at peace. I'll say that," the 38-year-old polygamist sect member said in the early evening darkness.
Jurors took about six hours before handing down the sentence of 10 years in prison and an $8,000 fine. The second-degree felony of child sexual assault is punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine of as much as $10,000.
Jessop's conviction of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in November 2004 at the Yearning for Zion Ranch and the punishment determined by a seven-man, five-woman jury mark a victory for prosecutors in the first of what may be many trials springing from the April 2008 raid on the ranch.
To read the full report, please visit www.gosanangelo.com/news/2009/nov/10/jessop-sentenced-to-10-years.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 94
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11