ELDORADO, Texas — Convicted sex offender Raymond Merril Jessop smiled Tuesday on the way to the Schleicher County Jail from a makeshift courtroom where he'd just been sentenced to 10 years in prison.
"I am at peace. I'll say that," the 38-year-old polygamist sect member said in the early evening darkness.
Jurors took about six hours before handing down the sentence of 10 years in prison and an $8,000 fine. The second-degree felony of child sexual assault is punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine of as much as $10,000.
Jessop's conviction of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in November 2004 at the Yearning for Zion Ranch and the punishment determined by a seven-man, five-woman jury mark a victory for prosecutors in the first of what may be many trials springing from the April 2008 raid on the ranch.
To read the full report, please visit www.gosanangelo.com/news/2009/nov/10/jessop-sentenced-to-10-years.
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- 25-year-old man dies after losing control of...
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter' in...
- Kaysville man with MS shares hope with others
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 73
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 53
- British judge hears arguments in case... 47
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 29