ELDORADO, Texas — Convicted sex offender Raymond Merril Jessop smiled Tuesday on the way to the Schleicher County Jail from a makeshift courtroom where he'd just been sentenced to 10 years in prison.
"I am at peace. I'll say that," the 38-year-old polygamist sect member said in the early evening darkness.
Jurors took about six hours before handing down the sentence of 10 years in prison and an $8,000 fine. The second-degree felony of child sexual assault is punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine of as much as $10,000.
Jessop's conviction of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in November 2004 at the Yearning for Zion Ranch and the punishment determined by a seven-man, five-woman jury mark a victory for prosecutors in the first of what may be many trials springing from the April 2008 raid on the ranch.
To read the full report, please visit www.gosanangelo.com/news/2009/nov/10/jessop-sentenced-to-10-years.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12