BYU football: Mendenhall more interested in strategy than outcome of Utah-TCU game
If the Utes defeat the Horned Frogs, the No. 22 Cougars would have a shot at grabbing a share of the title, if they beat Utah in the regular-season finale on Nov. 28.
Meanwhile, if the Utes manage to spring the upset, it will diminish the chances for an MWC team to play in a Bowl Championship Series game for the third time in six years — which would cost the league millions of dollars and national prestige.
So, will the Cougars bring themselves to cheering for their arch-rivals?
"Rather than to get too caught up in who I'll be pulling for, I'm more interested in the strategy," said BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall. "I think it's going to be an interesting matchup, and I'll leave it at that."
When asked to predict the outcome of Saturday's showdown in Fort Worth, Mendenhall replied, "I can't predict well, not even when we play."
Mendenhall said the fact that ESPN's College GameDay will be visiting an MWC campus for the third time in four weeks is a positive step for the league.
"It's an awesome thing for our conference. I think it will be a great football game. I think they are two good teams ... I think it's the kind of thing where the conference is deserving of it ... and it's deserving for the nation to stop and pay attention to that game. I think that's what's happening."
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 102
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 11
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7