Utah soldier mourned
He was one of the first to die at Fort Hood
A 2008 graduate of West Jordan High School, he was an Eagle Scout and loved skateboarding, family members said.
"He was a sweet, nice kid; quiet, well-spoken. He loved life and his family," Forrest said.
"He was really excited to serve his country," added his grandfather, a former Marine. "He was a great kid. He did all the right things. … Just a great grandson."
As for what happened, family members who spoke to the Deseret News were mixed on their reactions.
Forrest said she and some other family members had moved from the grief stage and into the anger stage.
"The 'whys' come out. … Why'd it have to happen?" she asked.
Aaron's grandfather, however, said he held no animosity toward Hasan.
"That's between him and his God," he said.
Hasan allegedly began firing multiple shots into the Fort Hood processing center shortly after 1:30 p.m. Thursday. The shooting is believed to be the worst on an American military base. Twenty-seven soldiers, including Hasan, remained hospitalized Friday, the Army said.
In an early morning press conference, Lt. Gen. Bob Cone, III Corps and Fort Hood commander, confirmed that Hasan was injured but still alive and in stable condition. He is in custody.
Cone said civilian police officer Sgt. Kimberly Munley shot Hasan. She was wounded but is in stable condition at an area hospital.
The shootings took place near a theater where 138 college graduates were receiving their diplomas. The soldiers in the theater were able to gain control of the scene, the Army said, and no one in the theater was hurt.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 35
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 25
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20