Utah soldier mourned
He was one of the first to die at Fort Hood
A 2008 graduate of West Jordan High School, he was an Eagle Scout and loved skateboarding, family members said.
"He was a sweet, nice kid; quiet, well-spoken. He loved life and his family," Forrest said.
"He was really excited to serve his country," added his grandfather, a former Marine. "He was a great kid. He did all the right things. … Just a great grandson."
As for what happened, family members who spoke to the Deseret News were mixed on their reactions.
Forrest said she and some other family members had moved from the grief stage and into the anger stage.
"The 'whys' come out. … Why'd it have to happen?" she asked.
Aaron's grandfather, however, said he held no animosity toward Hasan.
"That's between him and his God," he said.
Hasan allegedly began firing multiple shots into the Fort Hood processing center shortly after 1:30 p.m. Thursday. The shooting is believed to be the worst on an American military base. Twenty-seven soldiers, including Hasan, remained hospitalized Friday, the Army said.
In an early morning press conference, Lt. Gen. Bob Cone, III Corps and Fort Hood commander, confirmed that Hasan was injured but still alive and in stable condition. He is in custody.
Cone said civilian police officer Sgt. Kimberly Munley shot Hasan. She was wounded but is in stable condition at an area hospital.
The shootings took place near a theater where 138 college graduates were receiving their diplomas. The soldiers in the theater were able to gain control of the scene, the Army said, and no one in the theater was hurt.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 132
- Rally in support of police also draws... 42
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 23
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands... 8
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail... 7