Utah soldier shot at Ft. Hood; others call home with details
A Utah soldier was among those shot in the shooting rampage at Fort Hood on Thursday.
The Standard-Examiner in Ogden reported Friday that Joey Foster, 21, a private first class who is preparing to be deployed to Afghanistan, was shot in the hip at Fort Hood, Texas, in the shooting spree at the Soldier Readiness Center that claimed at least 12 lives and wounded 31.
The Ogden man's wife, Mandy Foster, 23, said she first received a call from a friend around 1:30 p.m. that shots had been fired at Fort Hood — a call she thought was a sick joke.
Soon she learned the nightmare shooting was real, but couldn't reach her Joey until he called about an hour later. He said he'd been shot in the hip, but he would be OK. To read the rest of the story go to www.standard.net/topics/featured/2009/11/05/ogden-man-shot-texas.
Meanwhile KSL-TV is reporting that another soldier who was at the scene called her family and described what happened. For more on that story go to www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=8572568.
Another Utah soldier at Fort Hood is safe and accounted for, according to Bev Haws, who spent 20 minutes on the phone trying to reach her son Timothy, a staff sergeant at Fort Hood, after she heard about the mass shooting at the Army post on Thursday.
"It scared me to death," the Sandy resident said.
She finally reached her son, who had been given the day off after helping at a flag ceremony for a funeral over the weekend.
"He took today off, and I was so glad," Haws said. "He works around that area where the shooting was."
She said her son grew up in Utah before he joined the Army 11 years ago.
— Lana Groves
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- Real Salt Lake proposes to pay for $18M...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 56
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 24
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- New prison site not expected to be... 16
- Former Utah Speaker of the House Becky... 15