PROVO – Using home court advantage, the BYU women’s tennis team took down the Nevada Wolfpack, 5-2, Saturday at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“Overall, I think the team did really well this whole weekend,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “The girls fought hard this weekend. They played their game and they came out on top. They never gave up, especially (Friday). Denver was a tough match. They fought to the end and pulled out the win. Going into (Saturday), that win gave us confidence and I think we’ll continue building on that confidence for our next match.”
The Cougars (2-2) took the doubles point over the Wolfpack (0-2) after swift 8-3 victories by senior Megan Price and freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon on Court 1, and sophomore Desiree Tran and freshman Morgan Anderson on Court 2.
Anderson was off the court first for the Cougars in singles after only dropping one game to Sophie Stevens at the No. 3 position.
Nevada closed the gap on BYU with a Court 1 win by Michelle Okhremchuk over Tran, 6-4, 6-3.
Price, playing at the No. 2 position, finished her match next, defeating Emma Verberne, 7-6(3), 6-4, to put the Cougars back up by two.
Sheehan-Dizon secured the BYU win with a 7-6(5), 6-2 decision over Juliette Legendre on Court 4.
The Cougars continue match play Saturday against Wisconsin at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
BYU – 5
Nevada – 2
1. Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) def. Desiree Tran (BYU), 6-4, 6-3 2. Megan Price (BYU) def. Emma Verberne (NEV), 7-6 (3), 6-4 3. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Sophie Stevens (NEV), 6-0, 6-1 4. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Juliette Legendre (NEV), 7-6 (5), 6-2 5. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Gabriela Eufrasio (NEV), 6-0, 6-4 6. Rymma Maslova (NEV) def. Lisa Waldron (BYU), 1-2, def. inj.
1. M. Price/M. Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. E. Verberne/J. Legendre (NEV), 8-3 2. D. Tran/M. Anderson (BYU) def. M. Okhremchuk/R. Maslova (NEV), 8-3 3. S. Stevens/G. Eufrasio (NEV) def. A. Paul/L. Waldron (BYU), 8-4
Nevada (0-2) BYU (2-2) Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3), Singles (3, 1, 2, 4, 6, 5)
Whitney Weekes works in BYU Athletic Communications as the tennis sports information director. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26