It's for that reason Sloan is willing to dangle minutes on the floor like a carrot, if need be.
"If some guys start jacking shots up and not playing any defense, that's another thing we'll take, hopefully, a better look at," Sloan said.
What flusters Sloan most, understand, is that he feels his players are able.
Just not always willing.
And that bad attitude comes with a price.
"If you're selfish on the defensive end," Sloan said, "both (offense and defense) are gonna struggle.
"Everybody is capable of defending. It's just getting it out of them," he added. "You get in a comfort zone, you know? I'm probably to blame for most of that. But we'll work on it and see if we can do a better job."
Jazz on the air
Jazz at Nuggets
Wednesday, 8:30 p.m.
TV: ESPN, FSN
Radio: 1320 AM
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Utah Jazz: Rip City, all right...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 46