It's for that reason Sloan is willing to dangle minutes on the floor like a carrot, if need be.
"If some guys start jacking shots up and not playing any defense, that's another thing we'll take, hopefully, a better look at," Sloan said.
What flusters Sloan most, understand, is that he feels his players are able.
Just not always willing.
And that bad attitude comes with a price.
"If you're selfish on the defensive end," Sloan said, "both (offense and defense) are gonna struggle.
"Everybody is capable of defending. It's just getting it out of them," he added. "You get in a comfort zone, you know? I'm probably to blame for most of that. But we'll work on it and see if we can do a better job."
Jazz on the air
Jazz at Nuggets
Wednesday, 8:30 p.m.
TV: ESPN, FSN
Radio: 1320 AM
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Ready to roll: US national soccer team ready...
- Utah Jazz: Massive, state-of-the-art...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their own...
- Rock On: Getting up to speed at BYU, Jazz's...
- A closer look at the Utah Jazz's 2013...
- Twitter reaction: U.S. men's soccer team...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 148
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 32
- Phil Steele ranks USU 2nd-most... 28
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 28
- Trevor Reilly, Jake Murphy to represent... 22
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- Austin Collie's workout with San... 18
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Unprecedented... 18