TERRE HAUTE, Ind. — The streak is over at Indiana State.
The Sycamores won for the first time in more than three years on Saturday, ending the nation's longest losing streak at 33 games on Saturday with a 17-14 victory over Western Illinois.
Ryan Roberts scored his second touchdown on a 4-yard run with 4 minutes 12 seconds to play as the Sycamores drove 80 yards for the winning score. Roberts, a sophomore quarterback, had a school-record 91-yard touchdown run earlier in the game. He finished with 160 yards rushing for Indiana State (1-7, 1-4 Missouri Valley).
"I think it's great for everyone involved," said second-year Indiana State coach Trent Miles. "Our coaching staff will be able to relax more tonight. I know I have a lot of pride in this program, and so do all of our supporters and former players."
Only Prairie View A&M (80 games), Columbia (44) and Northwestern (34) have ever lost more games consecutively. The Sycamores hadn't won since beating Missouri State 28-22 on Oct. 21, 2006.
The Leathernecks (1-6, 0-4) lost despite a big day from Dre Gibbs, who ran for 166 yards and a TD. Indiana State led 10-7 at the half, but Western Illinois went ahead on Marva Carley's 5-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter.
The Sycamores went 80 yards in 15 plays, capped by Roberts' go-ahead score. Western Illinois was stopped on downs and after Indiana State punted away, the Leathernecks' last hope was picked off by Andrew Blackmon, who intercepted Wil Lunt's pass as the clock ran out.
"The offensive line did a great job blocking for me today," Roberts said. "When you have those guys up front and (fullback) Brock Lough leading the way, it makes it a lot easier to run."
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35