TERRE HAUTE, Ind. — The streak is over at Indiana State.
The Sycamores won for the first time in more than three years on Saturday, ending the nation's longest losing streak at 33 games on Saturday with a 17-14 victory over Western Illinois.
Ryan Roberts scored his second touchdown on a 4-yard run with 4 minutes 12 seconds to play as the Sycamores drove 80 yards for the winning score. Roberts, a sophomore quarterback, had a school-record 91-yard touchdown run earlier in the game. He finished with 160 yards rushing for Indiana State (1-7, 1-4 Missouri Valley).
"I think it's great for everyone involved," said second-year Indiana State coach Trent Miles. "Our coaching staff will be able to relax more tonight. I know I have a lot of pride in this program, and so do all of our supporters and former players."
Only Prairie View A&M (80 games), Columbia (44) and Northwestern (34) have ever lost more games consecutively. The Sycamores hadn't won since beating Missouri State 28-22 on Oct. 21, 2006.
The Leathernecks (1-6, 0-4) lost despite a big day from Dre Gibbs, who ran for 166 yards and a TD. Indiana State led 10-7 at the half, but Western Illinois went ahead on Marva Carley's 5-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter.
The Sycamores went 80 yards in 15 plays, capped by Roberts' go-ahead score. Western Illinois was stopped on downs and after Indiana State punted away, the Leathernecks' last hope was picked off by Andrew Blackmon, who intercepted Wil Lunt's pass as the clock ran out.
"The offensive line did a great job blocking for me today," Roberts said. "When you have those guys up front and (fullback) Brock Lough leading the way, it makes it a lot easier to run."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48