Instead, after renting for three years, he bought a house for himself and the whole family here in Salt Lake City.
"Uh, right after the I got contract," said Millsap, who also has two daughters.
Some in the Jazz organization have suggested Millsap should soon consider venturing out on his own, but — especially now that his ship's in — he wouldn't think of it.
"I keep my family around me," Millsap said. "They've been here so far. They've supported me a lot. It's good to have that support — wherever you're at.
"The people around me are the best people I could ever have. They've helped me a lot. They're not gonna let me do anything crazy or something stupid for my money to be gone."
He sees no reason whatsoever for cutting ties.
"It's worked so far. So far it's great," Millsap said "Ever since I got the contract, nothing really has changed. Things have really stayed the same. And the people who are around me are for my best interest.
"They care about my best interest — me first — and I really appreciate that. You know, I'm not a selfish guy. I'm gonna try to help my family as much as possible — and the way they look at it, it's 'me.' I respect that."
Whether it meant staying or packing, then, everyone Millsap was prepared for whatever was to come.
"If I had gone to Portland, they was headed up there with me," he said. "That's just how they are. We move in packs. We stay together."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34