OSLO, Norway — The complete text of the citation awarding the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize to President Barack Obama as delivered by the Norwegian Nobel Committee:
The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.
Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts.
The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.
Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.
For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."
- Target: 40 million card accounts may be breached
- Spending habits of families receiving public...
- Photos of unicyclist riding in Utah snowstorm...
- Wage gap between men and women almost closed...
- Pennsylvania pastor defrocked after...
- Geographers map out the seven deadly sins
- Dear Santa: Funny and touching Christmas...
- Obamacare chaos now spreads to individual...
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay... 142
- New Mexico legalizes same-sex marriage 43
- Pennsylvania pastor defrocked after... 35
- Spending habits of families receiving... 33
- Can this marriage be saved? Republican... 30
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 24
- Associated Press survey: United States... 21
- New York senator wants paid family and... 19