FARMINGTON — If you're receiving help from weatherization programs around Utah, you want your furnace, windows or insulation installed correctly.
Davis County aims to help out by building a training center for weatherization installers inside a warehouse at Clearfield's Freeport Center.
Davis County commissioners Tuesday awarded a contract to West Jordan-based Onyx Construction to build 7,176 square feet of classroom, office and training space inside the warehouse.
Onyx had the lowest of 10 bids for the project at $289,900, said Marshall Scott, Davis County's facilities manager.
The training center and office for the Tri-County Weatherization Assistance Program, which serves Weber, Davis and Morgan counties, will contain a mock-up of a home inside so weatherization employees can practice installing furnaces, heat exchangers, windows and other measures designed to reduce the energy cost for low-income families.
The services are free to qualifying families, and Tri-County Weatherization manager Ian Spangenberg said he expects to see an increase in the number of families being served and in the number of weatherization employees who need training.
Spangenberg said two groups have already had training sessions at the office, and he expects about 400 people a year to receive training.
Scott said he expects construction at the office to be completed by the end of this year.
More information about Tri-County Weatherization is available at www.daviscountyutah.gov/weatherization.
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands man in...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- West High basketball players work to debate...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 112
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 101
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 23
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 16
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12