"Anyone that can do a basic Internet search can do this," he stressed. Those with only dial-up Internet connections can also do it too, although they will have to be more patient with slower processing times.
The "lab" version of FamilySearch includes: FamilySearch Alpha; Record Search; Forums; Research Wiki; Family Tree, England Jurisdictions 1851; Standard Finder and more.
Easy-to-use options will help people begin a personal history, post a question on the forums and more. City and county history books are also being added to the site and it is already 50,000 books strong.
Nauta said FamilySearch has 185 camera teams filming 60 million new images annually. Also, the Granite Vaults are having all of their microfilm (2.5 million rolls) digitized and that process could be completed as early as next year.
Some 100,000 FamilySearch volunteers are also sorting through a million names a day.
"It's the largest volunteer effort of its kind," Nautu said.
For extra accuracy, two volunteers research and process the same name. If there's not a perfect match in that process, a third person goes in and checks it.
It's preferred that FamilySearch Internet users be age 12 or older.
The FamilySearch Center is located near the main level west entrance of the Joseph Smith Building, northeast corner of Main and South Temple streets. The center is open Tuesday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Mondays 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; and is closed Sundays. More information is available at: www.familysearch.org.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 27
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 15
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 14