QUICK START: If this seems early for an NBA game, it's only because it is. This is the earliest preseason game Utah has played since Sept. 23, 1980. Utah is getting off to an early start because of its upcoming two-game trip to Europe.
Because camp started on Sept. 26 and the game in London isn't until Oct. 6, the Jazz wanted to squeeze in a home game.
Turned out, Denver was also looking for a game before heading overseas to face Indiana a couple of times in China.
"They were in the same boat that we were," O'Connor said. "It kind of worked out pretty good."
OH SAY CAN YOU SING?: The Jazz will hold auditions to belt out the national anthem at home games on Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at EnergySolutions Arena. Individuals and groups will try out in order of arrival. Those who can't make the live audition can deliver a recorded CD of the anthem to Kelly Crane at the arena by Friday.
PLAYING TIME: Sloan has a simple philosophy for divvying up minutes in the preseason.
"I'm not going to play anybody 40 minutes," he said. "Don't want to get anybody hurt if I can avoid that by playing somebody a long period of time in the exhibition season."
The coach did indicate that guys who "need a chance to play and need a chance to try to make the team" will see plenty of action.
The local television schedule for the Jazz season has not been announced, but fans who want to see the team's first action will have to attend tonight's game in person.
The 7 p.m. preseason-opener at EnergySolutions Arena against Denver will not be televised.
Those listening in to the radio broadcast on 1320-AM will get to hear David Locke's first broadcast as the official radio voice of the Jazz. The sports talkshow personality replaced longtime announcer Hot Rod Hundley, who retired last spring.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 37
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24