Utah Jazz notebook: A.K. adds 20 pounds of muscle and new haircut
HARPRING ON HOLD: O'Connor reiterated that the Jazz are in a wait-and-see mode with Matt Harpring, who will rest at his Atlanta home for the next six weeks in hopes that his ailing body will recover enough to play again.
"Matt is one of those guys that he really wants to play. Right now he's not physically able to," O'Connor said. "If he ran for three days, he'd be taking enough anti-inflammatories to kill a horse."
Though he took it easy this summer, hoping to heal for the final year of his contract with Utah, Harpring remains bothered by his surgically repaired right knee and ankle, which became severely infected last summer.
"It's been a long time since he's played and he's still not ready," O'Connor said.
"I don't hold out hope that he's going to be ready to go," he added. "Knowing him, he'll do everything he can. It's a unique situation."
EXTENSION TALKS: Ronnie Brewer and the Jazz have until the end of October to extend his contract to avoid having him become a free agent next summer.
"That's something that we'll talk to his agent about," O'Connor said. "But I won't comment on negotiation."
Brewer isn't worried or in a hurry, adding that he has the easy part of being able to play compared to the tough business decisions O'Connor has to make.
"We still have some time," said Brewer, who talked to O'Connor about the possible extension during a brief meeting Friday.
"There's no hard feelings ... I'm not going to lose any sleep about it," the guard added. "All I can do is come to practice every day, work hard and when it comes to game time go out there and perform like I have been doing in the past."
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 46
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 31
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 21