For San Jose State ... The Spartans can make a name for themselves with a victory. They are the only team in the nation this season facing back-to-back games against Bowl Championship Series winners.
For Utah ... The Utes carry the nation's longest active win streak (15 games) into the contest. They're seeking momentum before next week's anticipated tight battle against the Oregon Ducks in Eugene.
For San Jose State ... The Spartans were outscored 56-0 over the last three quarters against Southern Cal.
For Utah ... The Utes have won their last eight games away from Rice-Eccles Stadium, dating back to 2007.
San Jose State will win if ... Jupiter aligns with Mars, peace guides the planets and love steers the stars.
Utah will win if ... the Utes come out to play. A solid effort is likely all it will take to win their road opener.
PLAYER TO WATCH
Matt Asiata, Utah: The senior running back ran for a career-high 156 yards in the season opener against USU. He now faces a San Jose State defense that gave up 342 yards on the ground in last week's loss to USC.
UTAH'S OFFENSE VS. SAN JOSE STATE'S DEFENSE: Quarterback Terrance Cain and company could rack up some big numbers. The Spartans are coming off a poor showing against USC, surrendering 620 yards.
SAN JOSE STATE: None reported.
UTAH: Defensive end Koa Misi (back) is expected to play after being sidelined in the season opener against Utah State.
Utah travels to Oregon on Sept. 19 (ESPN, 1:30 p.m., MT); San Jose State visits Stanford on Sept. 19
Date Opponent Time (TV)
Sept. 3 Utah St. W, 35-17
Sept. 12 at San Jose St. 8:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
Sept. 19 at Oregon 1:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Sept. 26 Louisville 5:30 p.m. (CBSC)
Oct. 10 at Colorado St. 4 p.m. (mtn.)
Oct. 17 at UNLV 8 p.m. (mtn.)
Oct. 24 Air Force 2 p.m. (VS)
Oct. 31 Wyoming 6 p.m. (mtn.)
Nov. 7 New Mexico 4 p.m. (mtn.)
Nov. 14 at TCU 7:30 p.m. (CBS C)
Nov. 21 San Diego St. 2 p.m. (VS)
Nov. 28 at BYU 3 p.m. (CBS C, mtn.)
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 92
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 44
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33