showcases new family history technologies that are still undergoing
development. Users test them, and their feedback allows the developers
to refine the technology. For more than two years, Labs has developed
multiple innovative programs to aid in family history work.
The Research Wiki (wiki.familysearch.org)
is an open, online community where research experts and genealogists
share information on how to research sources for family history work.
Record Search gives access to millions of historical records — a
culmination of all the digitizing of records that is being done. Users
can see what records exist for a specific geographic area or enter what
they know about an ancestor to see matching records — all online.
(Access Record Search by visiting FamilySearch.org. Click Search
Records, then click Record Search pilot.)
thousands of users of varying levels of expertise can collaborate in an
online discussion to find answers to questions about product features,
research techniques, hints and tips, or even about specific families in
These and many other projects are making family history come alive
more than ever, said Paul D. Starkey, digital information process
manager in the Family History Department. \"That evolution of technology
has been remarkable in getting everyone involved everywhere\" he added.
\"The Internet has been an amazing technology to help this kind of
Of course, one of the most successful programs developed by the
Family History Department can be found at FamilySearchIndexing.org. At
any given time, the indexing program has 35 or more projects in
different areas of the world. People can download images of historical
documents to a computer and transcribe the information to create a
searchable online database of names, dates, locations and other
information — free for all to view online at FamilySearch.org.
Anyone can participate in indexing. If a home computer doesn't meet
the requirements to run the indexing application (available for
download at FamilySearchIndexing.org), the application can be found on
computers at any one of the 4,600 family history centers around the
Already available in English, French, German and Spanish,
FamilySearch indexing added three new languages in early
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon...
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's story...
- Overcoming drugs, alcohol, pornography:...
- Is the world's oldest Quran older than Muhammad?
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- ... 42
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon... 23
- Obama bristles at anti-Semitism charges... 16
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos... 9
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's... 8
- 14 things you’ll find in Donald... 6
- Overcoming drugs, alcohol, pornography:... 5