Utah Utes football: Whittingham says BCS talk is 'ridiculous'
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham insists it's way too early to talk about rankings and such. In fact, he doesn't think any polls should be released until teams have played a few games.
"It's all speculation," Whittingham said. "Really, there's no substance until about week four or five."
Same goes for any talk about the Bowl Championship Series.
"With 11 weeks left in the season, to even mention 'BCS' in anybody's situation, to me, is ridiculous. There's so much football to go," he said.
"You've just got to go week to week and hope to improve every week."
As for BYU and other projected BCS contenders, Whittingham noted it's a long season.
"They're certainly off to a good start," he said. "But that's all it is."
TOP TARGET: Of the 20 passes that Terrance Cain completed in his Utah debut, 10 were caught by senior receiver David Reed.
"That was part of the game plan," Reed said of the strategy offensive coordinator Dave Schramm opted to employ in the Utes' 35-17 win over Utah State. "It's going to be different week in and week out. I might see three passes some weeks, some weeks I might see more. We'll just see how it goes."
SECOND START: Cain acknowledged that his second start for the Utes will differ from his first.
"It's a little bit different because you've got game film," he said.
"So it's kind of easier to prepare because you know who you're going against. But you've still got to prepare the same way."
FOOTBALL 101: The first of three "Football 101" clinics for women will be held tonight from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Smith Center on Guardsman Way.
The cost of the clinics, which will also be held Sept. 23 and Oct. 21, is $40 per person and includes a T-shirt and light refreshments. Sessions include chalk talks from the coaching staff and a tour of the facilities.
For more information, e-mail Jeff Rudy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson for...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29