Utah Utes football: Whittingham says BCS talk is 'ridiculous'
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham insists it's way too early to talk about rankings and such. In fact, he doesn't think any polls should be released until teams have played a few games.
"It's all speculation," Whittingham said. "Really, there's no substance until about week four or five."
Same goes for any talk about the Bowl Championship Series.
"With 11 weeks left in the season, to even mention 'BCS' in anybody's situation, to me, is ridiculous. There's so much football to go," he said.
"You've just got to go week to week and hope to improve every week."
As for BYU and other projected BCS contenders, Whittingham noted it's a long season.
"They're certainly off to a good start," he said. "But that's all it is."
TOP TARGET: Of the 20 passes that Terrance Cain completed in his Utah debut, 10 were caught by senior receiver David Reed.
"That was part of the game plan," Reed said of the strategy offensive coordinator Dave Schramm opted to employ in the Utes' 35-17 win over Utah State. "It's going to be different week in and week out. I might see three passes some weeks, some weeks I might see more. We'll just see how it goes."
SECOND START: Cain acknowledged that his second start for the Utes will differ from his first.
"It's a little bit different because you've got game film," he said.
"So it's kind of easier to prepare because you know who you're going against. But you've still got to prepare the same way."
FOOTBALL 101: The first of three "Football 101" clinics for women will be held tonight from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Smith Center on Guardsman Way.
The cost of the clinics, which will also be held Sept. 23 and Oct. 21, is $40 per person and includes a T-shirt and light refreshments. Sessions include chalk talks from the coaching staff and a tour of the facilities.
For more information, e-mail Jeff Rudy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Curtain raiser: Quin Snyder Era begins in...
- Poppinga has endured dark times before, hopes...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 41
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 41
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32