Michael Brandy, Deseret News
Utah State travels to Texas A&M on Sept. 19. The Aggies have never faced the better-known Aggies.
Utah visits San Jose State on Sept. 12 (8:30 p.m., ESPN-U). The Utes own an all-time 4-1 record versus the Spartans with their most recent meeting coming in 1998 — a 49-17 Utah victory. Utah's only loss (24-6) in the series came in 1974 at home.
For Utah State ... The Aggies are looking to open the Gary Andersen era on a positive note. With the long-running series set to take a two-year break after this meeting, the winner will have bragging rights until 2012.
For Utah ... The Utes have the nation's best 14-game winning streak and have defeated the Aggies 11 times in a row.
For Utah State ... The Aggies have won just three of their last 22 season openers. The victories came in 1993, 1996 and 1997.
For Utah ... The Utes have won the past 11 games in the series with USU, prevailing by an average margin of 24.6 points.
Utah State will win if ... the defense is able to apply extreme pressure on Utah's new starting quarterback.
Utah will win if ... the Utes take care of business. They simply have more weapons and depth than the Aggies.
PLAYER TO WATCH
JORDAN WYNN and TERRANCE CAIN (pictured left to right), Utah: All eyes will be on the quarterbacks. Neither has played in a major college football game before. The biggest question? Do the Utes have an adequate replacement for Sugar Bowl MVP Brian Johnson.
WHITTINGHAM vs. ANDERSEN: Both coaches insist it's all about the players. This one, however, has brought the coaches into the forefront. How will Whittingham's longtime friend and colleague fare in his first battle against his former boss.
UTAH STATE: None reported.
UTAH: Defensive end Koa Misi (back) and left guard Caleb Schlauderaff (knee) will be game-time decisions. Right guard Walter Watts (knee) is expected to play.
Date Opponent Time (TV)
Sept. 3 Utah St. 7 p.m. (mtn.)
Sept. 12 at San Jose St. 8:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
Sept. 19 at Oregon 1:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Sept. 26 Louisville 5:30 p.m. (CBSC)
Oct. 10 at Colorado St. 4 p.m. (mtn.)
Oct. 17 at UNLV 8 p.m. (mtn.)
Oct. 24 Air Force 2 p.m. (VS)
Oct. 31 Wyoming 6 p.m. (mtn.)
Nov. 7 New Mexico 4 p.m. (mtn.)
Nov. 14 at TCU 7:30 p.m. (CBS C)
Nov. 21 San Diego St. 2 p.m. (VS)
Nov. 28 at BYU 3 p.m. (CBS C, mtn.)
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20