Robert J. Matthews, key to LDS edition of Bible, dies
Well-known expert on the Joseph Smith Translation dies at 82
dictionary.Matthews' work wasn't
limited to the JST. He was one of four senior editors of the
"Encyclopedia of Mormonism," reporting to editor Daniel Ludlow. He
taught religion at BYU until he retired in 1992.
used to sit in on his classes when I was at BYU," Charles D. Tate, a
retired English and religion teacher at BYU and former editor of BYU
Studies, said. "His insights were amazing and his research was
Jackson said his impact
also included involvement as a curriculum writer for the church's
seminaries and institutes before joining the BYU faculty, scores of
lectures at BYU's Education Week, Know Your Religion classes, firesides
and special summertime classes for instructors in the Church Educational
"He never ever wanted
anything in his life to be about him," Matthew's son Robert D.
Matthews said. "Most of the things that he has done in his life I have
learned about from other people."
After his father died on Sunday, Robert D. Matthews said hundreds of people have shared their experiences with him.
have a good friend of mine who said, 'I took a class from your dad when
I was in college.' One semester (my friend) got mono and missed a bunch
of time. And he said, 'Your dad was the only teacher that called me on
the phone and asked how I was doing and who brought me my coursework.'"
services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Lindon 6th Ward
Chapel, 56 E. 600 North in Lindon. A viewing will be held from 6-8 p.m.
Wednesday at Olpin Mortuary, 494 S. 300 East in Pleasant Grove.
Interment will be at the Lindon City Cemetery, 550 N. 200 East in
Lindon following the service.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Unmasked: How the dynamic duo behind Salt...
- Bill would increase incentives for early high...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 194
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 61
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 41
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 37
- LDS statement could move Utah... 30
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21