BYU football notes: Cougar cornerbacks still a concern
PROVO — BYU's two starting cornerbacks when the Cougars face Oklahoma in their season-opener on Sept. 5 could be a pair of junior college transfers, coach Bronco Mendenhall said Wednesday.
First-team corners Brandon Bradley (knee tendinitis) and Robbie Buckner (hamstring) have seen limited action, while JC transfers Brian Logan, Lee Aguirre and Corby Eason are receiving more and more practice time.
"It easily could be two junior college corners to start the season," Mendenhall said, adding that injuries are playing a factor in that assessment. "But at some point they're (Bradley and Buckner) going to have to get healthy. Otherwise, they'll get passed."
Bradley is regarded as the first-team boundary corner, who is backed up by Aguirre. Mendenhall said Bradley's health status could be a lingering one.
"It's going to be, I think, ongoing for the entire season," the Cougars' coach said. "We'll have to manage it as such."
Aguirre, Mendenhall said, is "playing very well. We have a lot of confidence in him."
Buckner is the first-team field corner, with Logan and Eason behind him.
Asked the difference between the field and boundary corner spots, Mendenhall explained that field corner "is the easiest to learn but the most demanding athletically. The boundary corner is comparable to what the rest of the spots are. The learning is difficult there."
FINAL OPEN PRACTICE: Today's practice (10 a.m.) will be the final one open to the general public.
TONGA REPORT: There's nothing new on the status of fullback Manase Tonga, Mendenhall said. Tonga is still trying to become academically eligible and gain admittance into school in order to start practicing with the Cougars.
EXTRA POINTS: Quarterback Max Hall completed 12-of-15 passes for 156 yards and one touchdown during Wednesday morning's 11-on-11 drills. Hall's one touchdown was on a spectacular, 18-yard catch by tight end Dennis Pitta, who had four catches for 56 yards.
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- Ranking the best draft picks in Utah Jazz...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 66
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 36
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 32
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31