BYU football notes: Cougar cornerbacks still a concern
PROVO — BYU's two starting cornerbacks when the Cougars face Oklahoma in their season-opener on Sept. 5 could be a pair of junior college transfers, coach Bronco Mendenhall said Wednesday.
First-team corners Brandon Bradley (knee tendinitis) and Robbie Buckner (hamstring) have seen limited action, while JC transfers Brian Logan, Lee Aguirre and Corby Eason are receiving more and more practice time.
"It easily could be two junior college corners to start the season," Mendenhall said, adding that injuries are playing a factor in that assessment. "But at some point they're (Bradley and Buckner) going to have to get healthy. Otherwise, they'll get passed."
Bradley is regarded as the first-team boundary corner, who is backed up by Aguirre. Mendenhall said Bradley's health status could be a lingering one.
"It's going to be, I think, ongoing for the entire season," the Cougars' coach said. "We'll have to manage it as such."
Aguirre, Mendenhall said, is "playing very well. We have a lot of confidence in him."
Buckner is the first-team field corner, with Logan and Eason behind him.
Asked the difference between the field and boundary corner spots, Mendenhall explained that field corner "is the easiest to learn but the most demanding athletically. The boundary corner is comparable to what the rest of the spots are. The learning is difficult there."
FINAL OPEN PRACTICE: Today's practice (10 a.m.) will be the final one open to the general public.
TONGA REPORT: There's nothing new on the status of fullback Manase Tonga, Mendenhall said. Tonga is still trying to become academically eligible and gain admittance into school in order to start practicing with the Cougars.
EXTRA POINTS: Quarterback Max Hall completed 12-of-15 passes for 156 yards and one touchdown during Wednesday morning's 11-on-11 drills. Hall's one touchdown was on a spectacular, 18-yard catch by tight end Dennis Pitta, who had four catches for 56 yards.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35