The Great Salt Lake Council of the Boy Scouts of America has named Charles W. Dahlquist II as its new president-elect.
He will replace John Kirkham in May 2010 as the council's top volunteer.
Dahlquist completed service last April as the Young Men General President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where he served for the past five years. During his tenure, he encouraged all adult Scout leaders to get properly trained by attending Wood Badge and Philmont courses.
"If we are really intent on touching the lives of our young men," said Dahlquist, "then we will do whatever is necessary to help us to accomplish that — including getting trained.
"For most of us, Wood Badge is life-changing, because it has to do more with vision and understanding this great tool for strengthening young men."
The Great Salt Lake Council recently hired Rick Barnes as its new chief executive from the Trapper Trails Council in Ogden. Barnes and Dahlquist will work together in the nation's largest Scout council, serving more than 75,000 youths in Tooele, Summit, Salt Lake and south Davis counties.
As a lifelong champion of the Boy Scouts of America, Dahlquist received the Silver Beaver award in 1985, the Silver Antelope award in 2006 and the Silver Buffalo award in 2007. These awards are the highest honors awarded to adults on the council, regional and national levels, respectively. He also has served on the National Executive Board and Western Regional Board of the Boy Scouts.
Dahlquist practices law as a member of Kirton & McConkie's risk-management and insurance defense practice section. His practice includes representing clients in many health-care and risk-management areas.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 163
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- The ghosts under our feet: 88... 10
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence... 10