Zane Taylor may be back to being the center of attention on Utah's offensive line. Last year's starter, who spent much of spring ball playing guard, spent the majority of Saturday's practice at his old spot.
And the junior liked it.
"It feels good getting back to center," Taylor said. "I love being an offensive lineman playing any position, but center is kind of where I feel more comfortable."
Taylor, however, has the skills to play anywhere on the line and the coaching staff has been exploring the options in their quest to put the five best linemen on the field.
"He's taking the majority of the reps right now," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said of Taylor's increased work at center. "He is going to be on the field regardless."
Whittingham said the field of candidates for the fifth spot on the line includes junior Walter Watts, redshirt freshman Tevita Stevens, senior Tyler Williams, redshirt freshman Derek Tuimauga and senior Viliamu Nau.
QB UPDATE: Whittingham reiterated that the three-way competition for the starting quarterback job (between Corbin Louks, Terrance Cain and Jordan Wynn) is still a three-way race and will likely remain that way until Thursday's scrimmage is complete.
"No change. Nope," he said when asked if any separation has taken place. "I wish there were, but there's not. We'll just keep working them all and stick with the original plan."
JUST FOR KICKS: Replacing All-America kicker/punter Louie Sakoda is an obvious priority for the Utes. And though it may not as pressing as the quarterback situation at this time, Whittingham acknowledged things are coming along.
The current pecking order, he noted, has senior Ben Vroman topping the depth chart at place kicker and redshirt freshman Sean Sellwood at punter. True freshman Nick Marsh is No. 2 at both spots.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- Brad Rock: Jerry Sloan praises ref who may...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 110
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 103
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 44
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 37