Several events have been scheduled in the coming week to celebrate the centennial of the Cathedral of the Madeleine, 331 E. South Temple. All are open to the public and held in the cathedral, except when noted otherwise. Some require paid tickets or free seating passes:
The Centennial Civic Service, Aug. 9 at 7:30 p.m. celebrates the cathedral's role in education, the arts and humanities and outreach to the poor and growing Hispanic population. Bishop John Wester will preside. Guest speakers include President Thomas S. Monson of the LDS Church, Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon, Univeristy of Utah President Michael Young and Senor Ignacio Rios Navarro, Consul de Mexico to Utah. Free.
The Cathedral Centennial Lecture, Aug. 11 at 7:30 p.m. will be presented by Deacon Owen Cummings, examining the writings of Cardinal John Henry Newman. Free.
The Cathedral Centennial Concert, Aug. 12 and 13 at 7:30 p.m. is the presentation of "The Dream of Gerontius, op. 38" by Sir Edward Elgar, featuring three soloists, the Cathedral Choir and Orchestra. Free. Guaranteed seating passes available by calling 801-994-4663 or by e-mailing email@example.com. Thursday's concert will be broadcast live by KBYU FM 89.1.
Solemn Vespers with Children's Procession, Aug. 14, 6 p.m. with Archbishop George Niederauer, eighth Bishop of Salt Lake City now officiating in San Francisco, as the homilist. Cardinal William Joseph Levada and other visiting bishops will also attend. Children representing each school and parish in the diocese will form a procession from the original cathedral site to the current cathedral. Free. For guaranteed seating passes, call 801-328-8941 ext. 114 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concierto Hispano, Aug. 14 at 8 p.m. The Latin music group Son by Four will perform and a fiesta will be celebrated on the plaza immediately following, with traditional foods available for purchase. Concert is free.
Centennial Anniversary Mass, Aug. 15 at 2 p.m. Celebrated in English and Spanish by Bishop John Wester with Cardinal Levada as homilist and music by English and Spanish choirs. A reception will follow. Free. A seating pass is required. Call 801-328-89 ext. 114 or e-mail email@example.com.
Centennial Bishop's Dinner, Aug. 15 at 6 p.m., Grand America Hotel with proceeds to support ministries of the cathedral and provide for long-term maintenance. Cardinal Levada will be the speaker. To purchase tickets, call 801-328-8941 ext. 108.
Parish Centennial Mass, Sunday, Aug. 16, 11 a.m. Bishop Wester will preside and the Cathedral Choir will present music from the original dedication in 1909.
Spanish Centennial Mass, Sunday, Aug. 16 at 3 p.m. in Spanish by Bishop William Weigand, seventh bishop of Salt Lake and emeritus bishop of Sacramento. A fiesta will follow on the cathedral plaza with traditional foods available for purchase.
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man with men...
- New Harmony: Christian shrines to see on my...
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church could be...
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's daughter
- 'The Voice' fans angry about replacement of...
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 11
- 'The Voice' fans angry about... 8
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter... 7
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's... 4
- Pope forms commission to advise on sex... 1
- New Harmony: Christian shrines to see... 1