Defensive back Kori Gaines, a 5-foot-9, 170-pounder from Loganville, Ga., became BYU's 21st verbal commitment as part of its class of 2010.
Gaines pledged to the Cougars on Saturday.
Gaines found out about BYU through one of his coaches at Grayson High School — Lenny Gregory, who played for the Cougars (he was then known as Lenny Gomes) from 1991-93.
Gregory sent Gaines' highlight tapes to BYU. Later, a couple of Cougar coaches traveled to Georgia to meet with Gaines, as well as a couple of other players at Grayson. Earlier this month, Gaines visited Provo.
"I fell in love with the school and the coaching staff," Gaines said. "The coaching staff was a class act. They made me feel right at home. Everything about the place was just amazing and unique. It was definitely exciting making my decision."
BYU defensive coordinator Jaime Hill told Gaines, who was 4.4 speed in the 40, that, for now, the plan is for him to play safety.
Though Gaines is not LDS, he said he is a "Christian man" and will have no problem living the LDS lifestyle. "I don't see any struggles while I'm out there because the Honor Code, the way they explained it to me, is how I live my everyday life," he said. "At BYU, they're all about what we're all about here at Grayson — discipline, character and class. That really stuck out to me."
Gregory described Gaines as "a tremendous athlete" who is "physical" and "fearless."
"He'll be a three-year starter here at Grayson, which is a 5A program, the highest classification in Georgia," Gregory said. "He's been a big, big part of our success."
Gaines also returns punts and kickoffs. He has recorded a 99-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.
Gregory said Gaines reminds him a lot of his former Cougar teammate, Eric Drage, who was one of the most prolific wide receivers in BYU history.
"Kori could play wide receiver at BYU if BYU wanted him too, like Eric Drage. They're very similar," Gregory said. "Having played there, I know the type of kid that BYU has to have."
Gaines said BYU was the only Division I school that offered him a scholarship.
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 90
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- Doug Robinson: Lindsey's bold moves... 22