BOUNTIFUL — A gas leak led to the evacuation of Colonial Square shopping center and all businesses in that vicinity Wednesday.
The evacuation was prompted by a "small gas leak in the ground" behind Wade Medical Plaza in Colonial Square on the corner of 500 West and 2600 South in Bountiful, said South Davis Metro Fire Battalion Chief Steve Moss. Nearly 15 buildings were evacuated.
Moss said that one of the companies affected was a brand new business hoping to have an open house.
"They evacuated all the businesses there and they all left, probably for the day," Moss said. "There was nobody injured, nobody got sick from it, it was just a big pain in everybody's neck to leave."
Moss said investigators found the small leak and repaired the problem underground by about 4 p.m. Tenants of the businesses were notified shortly thereafter that they could return to the area.
— Emiley Morgan
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17