BOUNTIFUL — A gas leak led to the evacuation of Colonial Square shopping center and all businesses in that vicinity Wednesday.
The evacuation was prompted by a "small gas leak in the ground" behind Wade Medical Plaza in Colonial Square on the corner of 500 West and 2600 South in Bountiful, said South Davis Metro Fire Battalion Chief Steve Moss. Nearly 15 buildings were evacuated.
Moss said that one of the companies affected was a brand new business hoping to have an open house.
"They evacuated all the businesses there and they all left, probably for the day," Moss said. "There was nobody injured, nobody got sick from it, it was just a big pain in everybody's neck to leave."
Moss said investigators found the small leak and repaired the problem underground by about 4 p.m. Tenants of the businesses were notified shortly thereafter that they could return to the area.
— Emiley Morgan
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- About Utah: How this Utahn turned a chance...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18