For the past 19 years, Lloyd D. Newell has introduced the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to audiences in the Tabernacle on Temple Square, in the Conference Center and on stages at various concert venues in many states and nations.
His is the voice that provides the narration for the choir's weekly network broadcast of \"Music and the Spoken Word.\" On concert tours, his announcements give audiences a personalized glimpse into the lives of members of the choir and Orchestra at Temple Square. On the concert tour from June 18 to 30, for example, his narration included interesting bits of information, such as the last time the choir had been to a particular city or state and which members of the choir and orchestra had ties to the areas in which the concerts were being held.
On July 19, when the choir commemorated the 80th anniversary of its weekly broadcast, Newell was on hand to announce the program. An interesting fact is that in its eight decades of broadcast history, \"Music and the Spoken Word\" has had just three announcers: Elder Richard L. Evans, (1930-1971); J. Spencer Kinard (1971-1990) and Newell, who began announcing in 1990.
See the full story on ldschurchnews.com.
This story is provided by the LDS Church News, an official publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is produced weekly by the Deseret News.
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- LDS Church posts article about the history of...
- Mormon missionary David Archuleta performs at...
- Mormon teen's testimony shines in her music
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher watches...
- LDS Church joins Instagram
- The Piano Guys: 4 dads on a mission
- Defending the Faith: Looking again at one of...
- LDS Church posts article about the... 72
- Off-hand remark by FOX host sparks... 55
- Nearly 82,000 LDS missionaries now, new... 29
- Ask Angela: I don't know how to tell my... 28
- Mormons score highest on 'Religious... 21
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher... 17
- Mormon missionary David Archuleta... 13
- The Piano Guys: 4 dads on a mission 11