Leaning on a golf umbrella, he indicated as much before teeing off in the same tournament as Williams, Rigby, Miles and others.
"They (the Blazers) can put money — a lot of money — up front. But I don't think that that's the issue ... if your organization is equipped to be able to handle it," O'Connor said. "And we've talked about it, what could happen. There's nothing that surprised us as far as this goes. We (had) the numbers listed from $6 (million) to $10 (million) on what his signing bonus could be. So, we'll just evaluate it.
"You determine if it's worth it, Paul's worth it. That's what you always do. ... You don't want to overpay, or panic on something.
"You know, we said we were gonna match — and we'll take a look at it," the Jazz GM added.
"If it's where it's supposed to be, or close to where it's supposed to be, we'll evaluate it. But if it's in the $11 (million)-or-$12 million range that might be a little difficult."
While the deal does average $8 million, it will cost the Jazz $11.8 million in cash next season — plus the punitive tax, which pushes Millsap's effective cost for next season to more like the $20 million range.
"It's going to be tough," said Williams, who will make about $13.5 million himself next season. "It's going to be tough to re-sign Paul, and then pay that tax. But so many things can happen.
"I'm confident in Kevin (O'Connor)," he added. "I know he's going to do the right thing — you know, try to make it possible. I know he wants Paul back. I know (family ownership rep) Greg (Miller) wants Paul back. Everybody on our team wants Paul back. So, hopefully we can make it happen. Somehow."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22