University of Utah President Michael Young is expected to report a robbery to the U.S. Senate on Tuesday — of his university's shot at a national football championship last season.
Young is scheduled to be the lead-off witness at a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing titled, "The Bowl Championship Series: Is it Fair and in Compliance with Antitrust Law?" The witness list for that hearing was released Thursday.
The hearing is scheduled to be Webcast at judiciary.senate.gov beginning next Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. MDT.
Other scheduled witnesses included Harvey Perlman, chancellor of the University of Nebraska atLincoln and leader of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee on how the BCS operates; antitrust lawyer William Monts III, who has said the BCS does not violate antitrust laws; and antitrust lawyer Barry Brett.
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, pushed hard for the hearing, contending the BCS robbed undefeated Utah of a chance to play for the national championship last year.
Hatch, in a Sports Illustrated story this week, called the BCS "biased" and said it probably violates federal antitrust laws. "Although the Utes had plenty of big wins, the BCS system denied them the chance to play for the national championship," he said.
Utah ended the season 13-0, was the nation's only undefeated bowl division team and defeated Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. The Associated Press ranked the team No. 2 at the end of the bowl season.
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Video: Utah man uses 'random acts of pasta'...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 37
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 25
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 24