Utah Jazz: Draft prospect knows tough
Pitt's Young would bring 'nasty' streak Jazz brass openly covet
"It went in probably about 2 inches," Young said. "It was a millimeter away from hitting a nerve, three millimeters way from hitting a blood vessel.
"So, I was pretty lucky."
At the hospital, pain-killing drugs were dispensed and a doctor was able to extract the intruding metal.
Before that, though, Young had to endure reaction akin to something straight out of an episode of "E.R."
"They (were) looking at me like, 'What the ... heck.' They didn't know what to think," he said. "The nurses told the doctor about the situation, and he ran over there, and he looked at me, and he was like, 'Oh, boy.' " Three days later, determined not to let the bizarre incident sidetrack pursuit of his preferred profession, and safely out of Canada without setting off any metal detectors at the airport, Young was in Indianapolis, somehow working out for the Indiana Pacers.
"I put a wrap on it," he said, "and was ready to go."
Case closed? Pretty much.
"I think just my game overall, as far as watching me play, and then being in the Pitt program — Pitt's known for tough guys — and then that situation, and then just watching my workouts — it's obvious," Young said, "that toughness is one of my strong points."
And the Jazz, he added, are "a tough team ... so I'd definitely like to come in and try to fit in and make Utah home."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43