Michael Brandy, Deseret News
One person is dead following a fiery crash Saturday morning that closed I-80 for about four hours near the Salt Lake-Tooele county line.
Mark Neilson of Magna was killed instantly.
About 11 a.m., a FedEx semitrailer pulling three trailers was traveling west and collided head-on with an eastbound sports-utility vehicle driven by Neilson.
The crash caused both vehicles to catch fire and halted both directions of traffic, Utah Highway Patrol spokesman Cameron Roden said.
The FedEx truck was transporting an unknown amount of ammunition, some of which discharged.
Police are looking for a "dirty white pickup" that witnesses say may have been a contributing factor in the crash, Roden said. Witnesses to the accident said the white pickup cut off the SUV and did not stop at the scene.
The driver of the semitrailer was transported by medical helicopter to University Hospital in serious condition, he said.
One lane in each direction was open by 3 p.m.
— Clayton Norlen
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- 2 children critically injured in wrong-way...
- Judge sets November hearing for ex-A.G.s Mark...
- Car traveling 100 mph crashes into parked...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 32
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14