Michael Brandy, Deseret News
One person is dead following a fiery crash Saturday morning that closed I-80 for about four hours near the Salt Lake-Tooele county line.
Mark Neilson of Magna was killed instantly.
About 11 a.m., a FedEx semitrailer pulling three trailers was traveling west and collided head-on with an eastbound sports-utility vehicle driven by Neilson.
The crash caused both vehicles to catch fire and halted both directions of traffic, Utah Highway Patrol spokesman Cameron Roden said.
The FedEx truck was transporting an unknown amount of ammunition, some of which discharged.
Police are looking for a "dirty white pickup" that witnesses say may have been a contributing factor in the crash, Roden said. Witnesses to the accident said the white pickup cut off the SUV and did not stop at the scene.
The driver of the semitrailer was transported by medical helicopter to University Hospital in serious condition, he said.
One lane in each direction was open by 3 p.m.
— Clayton Norlen
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18