Michael Brandy, Deseret News
One person is dead following a fiery crash Saturday morning that closed I-80 for about four hours near the Salt Lake-Tooele county line.
Mark Neilson of Magna was killed instantly.
About 11 a.m., a FedEx semitrailer pulling three trailers was traveling west and collided head-on with an eastbound sports-utility vehicle driven by Neilson.
The crash caused both vehicles to catch fire and halted both directions of traffic, Utah Highway Patrol spokesman Cameron Roden said.
The FedEx truck was transporting an unknown amount of ammunition, some of which discharged.
Police are looking for a "dirty white pickup" that witnesses say may have been a contributing factor in the crash, Roden said. Witnesses to the accident said the white pickup cut off the SUV and did not stop at the scene.
The driver of the semitrailer was transported by medical helicopter to University Hospital in serious condition, he said.
One lane in each direction was open by 3 p.m.
— Clayton Norlen
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 32
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 10
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7