Utah counties will be receiving 3 percent more than last year from the federal government through its Payment In Lieu of Taxes program for federal lands in their boundaries, thanks in part to the stimulus package passed by Congress.
Utah counties will split $33.06 million in PILT payments, up from $32.21 million last year. PILT payments are computed based on the number of federal acres held in counties, which are not subject to normal local property taxes.
In announcing the totals, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said, "Each year, counties with federal lands rely on the PILT program to help offset lost tax revenues to pay for essential services such as firefighters, first responders, schools, water systems and roads."
He added, "This year in particular, with economic pain felt across the country, the PILT program will help local communities weather the storm."
Amounts announced for counties in Utah are: Beaver, $873,573; Box Elder, $2.81 million; Cache, $558,573; Carbon, $1.02 million; Daggett, $117,838; Davis, $75,099; Duchesne, $1.38 million; Emery, $1.09 million; Garfield, $713,077; Grand, $1.08 million; Iron, $2.89 million; Juab, $1.09 million; Kane, $955,611; and Millard, $1.23 million.
Also, Morgan, $33,871; Piute, $199,021; Rich, $199,021; Rich, $318,377; Salt Lake, $211,827; San Juan, $1.33 million; Sanpete, $1.22 million; Sevier, $1.7 million; Summit, $1.1 million; Tooele, $3.11 million; Uintah, $2.25 million; Utah, $1.53 million; Wasatch, $1 million; Washington, $2.62 million; Wayne, $396,766; and Weber, $145,313.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer for...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 33
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 28
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8