Utah counties will be receiving 3 percent more than last year from the federal government through its Payment In Lieu of Taxes program for federal lands in their boundaries, thanks in part to the stimulus package passed by Congress.
Utah counties will split $33.06 million in PILT payments, up from $32.21 million last year. PILT payments are computed based on the number of federal acres held in counties, which are not subject to normal local property taxes.
In announcing the totals, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said, "Each year, counties with federal lands rely on the PILT program to help offset lost tax revenues to pay for essential services such as firefighters, first responders, schools, water systems and roads."
He added, "This year in particular, with economic pain felt across the country, the PILT program will help local communities weather the storm."
Amounts announced for counties in Utah are: Beaver, $873,573; Box Elder, $2.81 million; Cache, $558,573; Carbon, $1.02 million; Daggett, $117,838; Davis, $75,099; Duchesne, $1.38 million; Emery, $1.09 million; Garfield, $713,077; Grand, $1.08 million; Iron, $2.89 million; Juab, $1.09 million; Kane, $955,611; and Millard, $1.23 million.
Also, Morgan, $33,871; Piute, $199,021; Rich, $199,021; Rich, $318,377; Salt Lake, $211,827; San Juan, $1.33 million; Sanpete, $1.22 million; Sevier, $1.7 million; Summit, $1.1 million; Tooele, $3.11 million; Uintah, $2.25 million; Utah, $1.53 million; Wasatch, $1 million; Washington, $2.62 million; Wayne, $396,766; and Weber, $145,313.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror dropping...
- Mia Love pushing higher education act
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah's air pollution problem: What does... 17