Utah counties will be receiving 3 percent more than last year from the federal government through its Payment In Lieu of Taxes program for federal lands in their boundaries, thanks in part to the stimulus package passed by Congress.
Utah counties will split $33.06 million in PILT payments, up from $32.21 million last year. PILT payments are computed based on the number of federal acres held in counties, which are not subject to normal local property taxes.
In announcing the totals, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said, "Each year, counties with federal lands rely on the PILT program to help offset lost tax revenues to pay for essential services such as firefighters, first responders, schools, water systems and roads."
He added, "This year in particular, with economic pain felt across the country, the PILT program will help local communities weather the storm."
Amounts announced for counties in Utah are: Beaver, $873,573; Box Elder, $2.81 million; Cache, $558,573; Carbon, $1.02 million; Daggett, $117,838; Davis, $75,099; Duchesne, $1.38 million; Emery, $1.09 million; Garfield, $713,077; Grand, $1.08 million; Iron, $2.89 million; Juab, $1.09 million; Kane, $955,611; and Millard, $1.23 million.
Also, Morgan, $33,871; Piute, $199,021; Rich, $199,021; Rich, $318,377; Salt Lake, $211,827; San Juan, $1.33 million; Sanpete, $1.22 million; Sevier, $1.7 million; Summit, $1.1 million; Tooele, $3.11 million; Uintah, $2.25 million; Utah, $1.53 million; Wasatch, $1 million; Washington, $2.62 million; Wayne, $396,766; and Weber, $145,313.
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- UDOT to release preliminary results of S.R....
- Walking tour, barbecue Saturday in Murray
- Utah communities still among fastest-growing...
- Photos: Vehicle Day gives students a look at...
- Idaho man accepts plea deal in Logan shootout...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 14
- Utah defends busting theater for... 12