Utah counties will be receiving 3 percent more than last year from the federal government through its Payment In Lieu of Taxes program for federal lands in their boundaries, thanks in part to the stimulus package passed by Congress.
Utah counties will split $33.06 million in PILT payments, up from $32.21 million last year. PILT payments are computed based on the number of federal acres held in counties, which are not subject to normal local property taxes.
In announcing the totals, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said, "Each year, counties with federal lands rely on the PILT program to help offset lost tax revenues to pay for essential services such as firefighters, first responders, schools, water systems and roads."
He added, "This year in particular, with economic pain felt across the country, the PILT program will help local communities weather the storm."
Amounts announced for counties in Utah are: Beaver, $873,573; Box Elder, $2.81 million; Cache, $558,573; Carbon, $1.02 million; Daggett, $117,838; Davis, $75,099; Duchesne, $1.38 million; Emery, $1.09 million; Garfield, $713,077; Grand, $1.08 million; Iron, $2.89 million; Juab, $1.09 million; Kane, $955,611; and Millard, $1.23 million.
Also, Morgan, $33,871; Piute, $199,021; Rich, $199,021; Rich, $318,377; Salt Lake, $211,827; San Juan, $1.33 million; Sanpete, $1.22 million; Sevier, $1.7 million; Summit, $1.1 million; Tooele, $3.11 million; Uintah, $2.25 million; Utah, $1.53 million; Wasatch, $1 million; Washington, $2.62 million; Wayne, $396,766; and Weber, $145,313.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 77
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 32
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 26