Police briefs

Published: Tuesday, June 9 2009 12:00 a.m. MDT

Skydiver injured trying spin move

ERDA, Tooele County — A skydiver practicing near the Tooele Valley Airport accidentally crashed to the ground and suffered critical injuries Monday.

About 1:30 p.m. some skydivers were doing some maneuvers in which they spin and at the last minute level the parachute out, Tooele County sheriff's deputy Keith Borders said.

"He was spinning and did not quite level out and hit the ground going about 15 to 20 miles per hour," he said.

The man, 47, landed on his back and suffered pelvic and spinal injuries.

"He was conscious but in a lot of pain," Borders said.

The man was flown to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition, according to Borders.

The man had a flight camera on his helmet and appeared to be an experienced skydiver.

— Ethan Thomas

S.L. County settles excessive force suit

Salt Lake County will pay $60,000 to settle a lawsuit that alleged sheriff's deputies used excessive force during the 2007 investigation of a noise complaint at a home.

Deputies went to the home to check on a 16-year-old boy who complained over the phone to a friend that his parents and their guests were so loud he couldn't sleep. The friend called police.

Five adults in the home were drinking alcohol while working on a video presentation for work.

The boy's father, Stephen M. Perry, refused to let police inside without a warrant. Deputies used pepper spray to subdue Perry and guests, John Gitlin and Marika Barber, who are married. Officers also used a Taser on Gitlin and Barber.

All three were charged with disorderly conduct, interfering with an arrest and assault on police, but were acquitted by a jury.

The three sued six deputies, contending they used excessive force and that their warrantless search was unlawful.

Gitlin said he didn't pursue the lawsuit for money.

"I just hope the next time the police show up somewhere and operate outside the source of their jobs, there will be some policy to remedy that," he said.

Salt Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Don Hutson said an internal affairs investigation found no violation of policies by the officers.

An attorney for the county said settling the lawsuit is not an admission of guilt or liability by the county or the officers.

— Associated Press

Pardons board keeps rapist in jail

POINT OF THE MOUNTAIN — Utah's Board of Pardons and Parole will keep a Box Elder County man convicted of raping a 6-year-old girl in prison for the rest of his life.

Board spokesman Jim Hatch says the board voted unanimously last week to deny Stanley Allen Smith an opportunity for parole and imposed a prison term of "natural life." Smith had a parole hearing on May 9.

In 1993 a jury convicted Smith of aggravated kidnapping, sodomy of a child and rape of a child, all first-degree felonies. The girl was taken at knifepoint from a playground in Corrine and raped.

A judge initially sentenced Smith to four consecutive terms of 15 years to life. The Utah Supreme Court reduced the sentence on appeal.

Utah law gives the parole board the final say on prison terms.

— Associated Press

Teen pleads in case from Sear's killing

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere