Unless Boozer plans to sign for nothing more than mid-level salary-exception money – a multi-year deal starting with an annual salary in the mid-to-high $5 million range – he'd have to get Utah to agree to a sign-and-trade in order to land with the Nets.
And agreeing to mid-level money seems decidedly unlikely, as Boozer already has said publicly – first during his December interview with ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan – that he fully expects a pay raise starting next season.
Detroit, on the other hand, has enough team payroll salary cap space to sign Boozer without having to go the sign-and-trade route.
Still, Harris is hopeful.
"I've kind of played with Boozer a couple of times over the summer, so I know what he's capable of doing," the Nets point told WFAN.
"Obviously, going, playing, against him, he's a talented player – but I think he fits right to what we do."
On a related note, the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger reported over the weekend that Boozer now lives at least part-time in New Jersey.
One Web site, Nets.com, also reported Boozer was seen in New Jersey with his agent back in early May.
According to the Star-Ledger: "He's obviously comfortable in Jersey – he has a home here, if only to be close to the health care specialists that his son requires."
Boozer's young son, Carmani, has endured a well-chronicled battle with sickle cell anemia that included bone marrow transplant surgery.
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 44