Federal charges have been filed against a man accused of making threats against President Barack Obama. The threats occurred in a St. George bank.
The suspect, Daniel James Murray, is originally from New York but has recently moved among several states, including Utah. A warrant has been issued for Murray's arrest, but his current whereabouts are unknown, according to the Secret Service affidavit filed in U.S. District Court Thursday.
The charges say Murray recently withdrew $85,000 cash from his Zions First National Bank account over a period of two days last week. After receiving the first bundle of money from the teller, he told her, "We are on a mission to kill the president of the United States," the court document says.
The affidavit says Murray opened the account on May 19 and asked the bank employee who was helping set up the account if Zions was a "solvent" bank. He then told the woman that "with all this mess going on under President Obama with banks and the economy, I'm sure if citizens happen to lose their money, they will rise up and we could see killing and deaths," according to the affidavit.
Murray returned to the bank and withdrew close to $13,000 in non-sequential bills no larger than $50 on May 27, which was when he made the statement threatening the president's life, according to the court document.
During the same visit he was unable to produce proper identification, and as the teller told him that he could not withdraw the funds without his identification he said "not to be disrespectful, but if I don't get this money, someone is going to die," the complaint says.
After a branch manager allowed the transaction, the teller began to count the cash. While she counted the cash, Murray said, "We are 94 million miles from the sun, and are in-between the sun and the moon, and the eagle that flies between them, and it's a giant step for mankind.… I have traveled thousands of miles to be here and know things that are going to happen … the banking system will fail and people will die … there will be chaos in the world," according to the affidavit.
Murray returned on May 28 and withdrew the rest of the money and closed the account.
The Secret Service says that Murray is known to drive a blue 2001 Buick LeSabre with New York license plate ERL 1445. The affidavit also says that Murray has at least eight registered firearms. The guns range from semiautomatic pistols to revolvers "some capable of carrying 15 rounds of ammunition, and all easy to conceal," the document says.
He has been charged with one count of threats against the president of the United States.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 86
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 27
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16