Riverton to open farm-themed splash park
Riverton facility is built on several acres of former farmland
RIVERTON — Grandpa won't be the only one cranking up sprinklers on the farm to keep the little ones cool this summer.
On Saturday, Riverton city officials will open their own farm-themed water park for young children.
"It's not huge," said Sheril Garn, city recreational director. "It's basically a glorified shower and bath park."
Water-gushing features in the several-acre park include a nostalgic tractor, water tank and barn structure.
"We went with that theme because the land used to be a farm," Garn said. "It was fitting."
The city paid about $2 million for the Old Farm Splash Park.
Part of the cost went into installing a soft play surface below the wet park equipment. The anti-fungal mats are designed to prevent rambunctious kids from getting scrapes and bruises while running and wrestling, according to the Draper-based mat maker Sof'Solutions.
Water features in the park, designed for children 8 years old and younger, will run from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The city will host a free fishing derby at the city fish pond adjacent to the Old Farm Splash Park from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. At noon, city officials will cut a ceremonial ribbon at the splash park and crank open dozens of water-spewing valves.
Those planning to attend Saturday's grand opening should expect of high of 73 degrees with a 30 percent chance of rain, according to the National Weather Service.
Old Farm Splash Park
What: Grand opening
When: Noon today
Where: 13680 S. 3250 West, Riverton
How much: Free
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Court lifts stay, but gives Utah chance to...
- Ex-Tabiona High coach admits to...
- Domestic violence reaches far beyond...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- South Salt Lake business owners complain of...
- Sell or keep Utah State Fairpark? Study...
- Police looking for men accused of firing...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 65
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 45
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 44
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 42
- Court lifts stay, but gives Utah chance... 39
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 38
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 32
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or... 31