Riverton to open farm-themed splash park
Riverton facility is built on several acres of former farmland
RIVERTON — Grandpa won't be the only one cranking up sprinklers on the farm to keep the little ones cool this summer.
On Saturday, Riverton city officials will open their own farm-themed water park for young children.
"It's not huge," said Sheril Garn, city recreational director. "It's basically a glorified shower and bath park."
Water-gushing features in the several-acre park include a nostalgic tractor, water tank and barn structure.
"We went with that theme because the land used to be a farm," Garn said. "It was fitting."
The city paid about $2 million for the Old Farm Splash Park.
Part of the cost went into installing a soft play surface below the wet park equipment. The anti-fungal mats are designed to prevent rambunctious kids from getting scrapes and bruises while running and wrestling, according to the Draper-based mat maker Sof'Solutions.
Water features in the park, designed for children 8 years old and younger, will run from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The city will host a free fishing derby at the city fish pond adjacent to the Old Farm Splash Park from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. At noon, city officials will cut a ceremonial ribbon at the splash park and crank open dozens of water-spewing valves.
Those planning to attend Saturday's grand opening should expect of high of 73 degrees with a 30 percent chance of rain, according to the National Weather Service.
Old Farm Splash Park
What: Grand opening
When: Noon today
Where: 13680 S. 3250 West, Riverton
How much: Free
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Police search for two suspects in downtown...
- Willard hunting guide shot while accompanying...
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary of...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 83
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 53
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 31
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Plan to relocate prison to Salt Lake... 14