Riverton to open farm-themed splash park
Riverton facility is built on several acres of former farmland
RIVERTON — Grandpa won't be the only one cranking up sprinklers on the farm to keep the little ones cool this summer.
On Saturday, Riverton city officials will open their own farm-themed water park for young children.
"It's not huge," said Sheril Garn, city recreational director. "It's basically a glorified shower and bath park."
Water-gushing features in the several-acre park include a nostalgic tractor, water tank and barn structure.
"We went with that theme because the land used to be a farm," Garn said. "It was fitting."
The city paid about $2 million for the Old Farm Splash Park.
Part of the cost went into installing a soft play surface below the wet park equipment. The anti-fungal mats are designed to prevent rambunctious kids from getting scrapes and bruises while running and wrestling, according to the Draper-based mat maker Sof'Solutions.
Water features in the park, designed for children 8 years old and younger, will run from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The city will host a free fishing derby at the city fish pond adjacent to the Old Farm Splash Park from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. At noon, city officials will cut a ceremonial ribbon at the splash park and crank open dozens of water-spewing valves.
Those planning to attend Saturday's grand opening should expect of high of 73 degrees with a 30 percent chance of rain, according to the National Weather Service.
Old Farm Splash Park
What: Grand opening
When: Noon today
Where: 13680 S. 3250 West, Riverton
How much: Free
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Three hurt when ATV explodes into flames as...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 66
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18