Riverton to open farm-themed splash park
Riverton facility is built on several acres of former farmland
RIVERTON — Grandpa won't be the only one cranking up sprinklers on the farm to keep the little ones cool this summer.
On Saturday, Riverton city officials will open their own farm-themed water park for young children.
"It's not huge," said Sheril Garn, city recreational director. "It's basically a glorified shower and bath park."
Water-gushing features in the several-acre park include a nostalgic tractor, water tank and barn structure.
"We went with that theme because the land used to be a farm," Garn said. "It was fitting."
The city paid about $2 million for the Old Farm Splash Park.
Part of the cost went into installing a soft play surface below the wet park equipment. The anti-fungal mats are designed to prevent rambunctious kids from getting scrapes and bruises while running and wrestling, according to the Draper-based mat maker Sof'Solutions.
Water features in the park, designed for children 8 years old and younger, will run from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The city will host a free fishing derby at the city fish pond adjacent to the Old Farm Splash Park from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. At noon, city officials will cut a ceremonial ribbon at the splash park and crank open dozens of water-spewing valves.
Those planning to attend Saturday's grand opening should expect of high of 73 degrees with a 30 percent chance of rain, according to the National Weather Service.
Old Farm Splash Park
What: Grand opening
When: Noon today
Where: 13680 S. 3250 West, Riverton
How much: Free
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- Man fighting for custody of daughter may get...
- 13 of the best 'No Shave November' mustaches...
- Police open homicide investigation after man...
- 3 counties want Supreme Court to hear complex...
- S.L. Comic Con founders report progress in...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- ‘Miracle baby’ born on cruise...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 42
- U. professor, students call on SCOTUS... 29
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Rep. Mia Love endorses Marco Rubio for... 22
- Anatomy of a trip: The Utah-Switzerland... 22
- Former Gov. Leavitt warns action needed... 19
- Longtime Salt Lake County Councilman... 15
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15