Ute linebacker Maurice Neal has been charged with punching and kicking two men at Lumpy's Bar on Sunday.
Neal, who is a sophomore at the University of Utah and back-up middle linebacker for the school's football team, was charged in the 3rd District Court on Wednesday with two counts of assault and one count of failing to stop at the command of a law officer, both class A misdemeanors.
Police officers watched Neal hit a man, Martin Chacon, in the face, who then fell to the ground unconscious, according to the charges. Neal and several others then began to fight another man, Juan Hernandez, who fell to the ground. Neal then kicked Hernandez several times in the torso and head so that he lost consciousness, the charges state.
Police yelled for Neal to stop, but said he took off running with officers in pursuit before eventually stopping at 280 S. West Temple, where he was apprehended.
"We are aware of the situation and once the legal system runs its course, we will determine what, if any, disciplinary action is appropriate," said Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham.
Neal is currently in the Salt Lake County Jail with bail set at $2,500.
— Lana Groves
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Former Attorney General John Swallow left...
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Christmas giving project makes former patient...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 97
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 30
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 24
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18